The Capital Planet of the PinoNet Empire

0 Conversations

Located in the far-off xAYB 2101 Galaxy, in the not to distant future. It is governed using a tier-based system. The system has 3 tiers; the Founder (me), Appointed Representatives of the People (ARPs), and then the actual citizens. The tier-based system is actually simpler than it may sound. The citizens have near-complete control over what they do, until an ARP feels that a change is necessary. Then the ARPs meet and converse at The Capital Building’s Presentation Hall, and decide on whether the change is acceptable. If it is voted to be acceptable, then the idea is taken to The Founder, who then has the final decision. On less important decisions, The Founder may be informed after the fact. In either case, The Founder may cancel any decisions the ARPs or citizens make. The Founder may also make decisions directly regarding the citizens without the ARPs consent. ARPs are elected by the citizens yearly using “Servo”s. Servos are the voting ballots of the future. Servos are small, box shaped computers. They have a small hatch with the words, “Don’t Panic!” printed in large, friendly letters on the hatch. This hatch opens when the Servo is activated. They are programmed with a cliché-y robotic voice, and artificial intelligence. Using a simple touch-pad, the voter inputs who they think would be a good ARP. The number of ARPs directly relates to the population of the Capital, with approximately 1 ARP for every 1000 citizens. To vote, a person must be 10 years old, at which point their vote only counts as 1/4th of a normal vote. Votes begin to count as normal votes once a person reaches the age of 18.
There are a few simple requirements to be considered a “citizen.” To be a citizen, the person must be mentally stable, and have a past record of relative-non-violence. Any person who does not fit these standards is shuttled to the deserted planet of Pinocrolypso (meaning: Single Mountain,) which is where the “loonies” go. Every citizen gets a “chip.” Anyone who legally immigrates or is born in the Capital has a tiny microchip embedded in the skin of their right palm. This chip serves multiple purposes. It runs off of the person’s actual life force, and can be monitored from a central station. The person’s location, physical status, breathing and heart rates, martial status, mood, whims, woes, and pet peeves are all monitored by this chip. The chip cannot be removed or destroyed. This technology has significantly lowered the number of missing peoples. The only time the chip stops running is when a person has died, at which point the chip short circuits. The chip is also used for voting for ARPs. The chip must be waved under the Servo before the Servo will allow itself to be filled out. This makes sure that every person gets to vote once, and only once. The chip is used to receive food rations, clothing, shelter, and medical supplies from designated provision areas. The chip also serves another purpose, a purpose that makes all of the other purposes seem unimportant. It eliminates all forms of sickness. The chip uses advanced technology to prevent illness and cure every ailment. Because these chips are connected directly to a person’s body, the chip “reprograms” every body cell with this information. The cells then can fight off any sickness that it encounters.
One of the most important rules of the capital is that violence is not tolerated, unless it is an act of self-defense. Also, jobs cannot be withheld from anybody. This does not mean that there are no job standards. You may not be able to receive the job you want to have, but you are guaranteed a job. In this way, nobody feels that they have nothing to do, or that they can’t contribute. It also serves as motivational tool to get people to want to work there way up the job chain. The environment is also very important to the people of the Capital. Rules relating to the environment are needed and play an important role in this society. Keekyas, an animal species exclusive to the Capital may not be harmed in any way. This rule also applies to every other form of plant or animal on the planet. Also, littering is greatly looked down upon. Because of this, breaking any of these rules results in a week long stay at Pinocrolypso.
Most of the people who live in the Capital are very much like people on Earth. This is not surprising, since many of the planets first inhabitants immigrated directly from Earth. Their physical appearance is the same, since they are made of the same natural “building blocks.” They have the same emotions as other humans, and have the same abilities and disabilities. They also have varying rituals and cultures, just like on Earth. Over time, these people’s ancestors “evolved” into a more laid back, relaxed, and peaceful version of their Earthling cousins. Only the oldest Citizens have ever experienced war or fighting, and very few citizens have ever experienced pain of suffering.
Food and activities are always available for your immediate entertainment whilst at the Capital. The cuisine of the Capital is much like that of Earth. Much like Earth, there are several major soft-drink-production companies. The smaller of these two companies is FiZZle. They have nearly 100 flavors of drinks, including some of the most popular alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks that can be found on earth. The other soft-drink tycoon is Zaphod Bebblebrox. Hailing from a planet near the star Betelgeuse, this 3-armed, 2-headed creature is the creator of the “Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster,” the most dangerous drink in the universe. Drinking a single Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is insanity, drinking 2 is suicide, and drink 3 means you are immortal. Although its potency is widely known, many people still enjoy this drink; especially after having one two many other alcoholic drinks. The Capital has constant transportation to the end of the universe; that is to say, to the “Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” This restaurant, also known as “Milliways,” drifts back and forth over the fateful moment to end all moments. There is a saying about the Capital, “The only things there that aren’t twitching with fun-times and excitement are the corpses.” This saying is completely true, and has even led to a few cases of chronic twitching. There are many activities that you can enjoy at the Capital. Watching cheesy daikaiju (giant monster) movies is very popular, as are video games. There are also constantly-leaving tours to “The Beginning of Time.” Be sure to look, not touch, as you watch the creation the very fabric that makes up the universe. Be sure not to sneeze, or you, and your family, may never be born.
2-20-04

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2321902

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more