Santa Claus: The Stretchy Santa Theory

5 Conversations

Have you ever wondered how Santa Claus can visit well over one billion households in one Christmas night? Impossible, you say. You're wrong. Not only is it possible, it's very much plausible.

The distance from the North Pole to the South Pole is around 18,000 kilometres. Each Christmas Day, Santa stretches himself to 18,000 kilometres long, places his head at the North Pole, and his feet at the South Pole. He stays in that position, and the world rotates underneath him at the stroke of midnight.

In this way, he can visit every household on earth.

We estimate that Santa displaces about 0.15 cubic metres of space, with clothes and hat. (If you ever get Santa in your bath, tell us how much he really does displace!) Assuming Santa is cylindrical and that the curvature of the earth is trivial, he is calculated to be about 0.0103 centimetres across, or about one-and-a-half times the thickness of a human hair.

So, if you see something like a very thick hair pass overhead on Christmas Day, you'll know who it is.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A236396

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more