Rugby League Report

0 Conversations

Hello and a warm welcome to a new season of Rugby League Reports with me, Intern smiley - smiley

If the pace of the first two games is any thing to go by the season will be very close indeed. Wakefield have already shown that they can mix it with the top flight even though they lost to Warrington on Saturday.

Bradford Bulls v Wigan

The Bradford Bulls look to start the season in the very dominant fashion. Lesley Vainikolo looked unstoppable running in 5 trys in one game that included a 90 meter run down the line. Withers was the first to find his way over the line. Wigan had the better start of the game but repeated penalties against the Warriors found their little scrum half, Luke Robinson, sin-binned for 10 minutes. Withers kicked a penalty when Wigan's Carny spilled the ball and, at half time, the score was Bulls 12 Wigan 0.

The Bulls made the game safe in the second half - running in another two trys in four minutes. Bulls could have improved the score but a few of the conversions were a bridge too far for stand in kicker Withers. Wigan did get over the line once with a try from Danny Orr but the story of the night was Vainikolo who equaled Halifax three-quarters record grand final at Old Trafford.

Bulls Go Out

The Powergen Challenge Cup holders Bradford Bulls are out after Saint Helens beat them with real ease at Odsal Stadium on Sunday. The Saints looked the better team from the kick off getting into the faces of the Bulls and doing what other teams can't do and what the Bulls dont like; slowing down the game - sometimes a little too long, to be honest. Most of the time the Saints looked slightly offside but, take nothing away from them, they are the ones to watch in the Cup without a
doubt.

Their first try came just after 10 minutes. Nick Fozzard made good ground from Cunningham and off-loaded to Edmonson who got past the cover to get the try. Their next try came in the 22nd minute after a mistake from Radford was plucked out the air by Long who then ran 50 metres to touch down. Things got a lot worse for the home team who repeatedly had the Saints on the rack only to make an unforced error and let them get out of jail. Radford did make slight amends by going over the Saints line. This was converted by a kick from Paul Decon in his first game back after injury, but the home team was trailing - going in at half time 14-6.

The Bulls did come out and play better in the second half and it looked like they might just pull something from the top drawer to win, but the Saints were not going to be robbed of a place in the next round and got another two tries to take the points total points beyond the Bulls reach. Radford still managed to get a consolation try before the end.

The final score was Bulls - 10 Saints - 30

Wigan Win Scrap at The JJB Stadium

The Wigan team looked like they, too, would be taking an early exit from the competition. After a very slow start by Wigan, Widnes were the first to get a try courtesy of Jules O'Neill. Widnes got another try before half time to make it 12-4 to the visitors.

Wigan came out in the second half ready to play some rugby and just out-classed the visitors. Tries came from Smith with Tickle converting. There was some bad news for the Wigan fans when Carney was taken off with what looked like a broken ankle after been picked up and dropped awkwardly.

Final score: Wigan - 38 Widnes - 12

Other Games

Hull also go through:  Leigh       14   Hull      21

and Halifax go out:    Limouxin  19  Halifax 18

Rugby League Reports
Archive

Intern

04.03.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2381681

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more