Star Trek - The Project: Ships: Captain Atcab Sethur

0 Conversations

Atcab Sethur began his career in Starfleet as a cadet at Starfleet Academy. He has commanded four ships in his time.

Name: Sethur, Atcab
Race: El-Aurian
Birthplace: Unspecified
Current Assignment: Captain: USS Tricolor NCC-67523
Previous Assignments: Lieutennant: USS Gunrunner, Commander: USS Yukon, Captain: USS Majestic, USS Katana NX-4502, USS Fortune
Notable achievements: The Sethur Maneouver, Engineer School Graduate

Biography

Atcab Sethur enroled in Starfleet Academy in 2314. He achieved good academic grades, particularly in tactical analysis and starship maneouvers.

He graduated as a second lieutennant and joined the USS Gunrunner, a very old freighter on the Sol-Vulcan run.

Later he was transferred to the USS Yukon, a constitution class cruiser. After ten years of service, he was promoted to commander. During this period of space exploration, it was commonplace for the commander to either accompany his captain on away missions or to remain in command of the ship while the captain was away. Later in his life, he would credit this diversity or roles and experience with giving him an understanding of ground and space combat and tactics.

After serving his captain for a further fifteen years, Atacb Sethur was promoted to Captain after taking command when his own captain was injured, and was given command of a constitution class, the USS Majestic. This ship was his home for the next twenty years, until it was time to refit her.

Unfortunately, due to several major faults in the ship's systems and hull fractures, Starfleet deemed it too costly to refit the Majestic, especially since they could not be certain that any refit would leave the ship safe.

With no other ship currently near completion, the crew was dispersed to other assignments and Captain Sethur decided to use the time to expand his learning and studied at the Daystrom Institute where he studied advanced subspace theory and warp dynamics.

As war with the Klingon Empire seemed inevitable, Starfleet had begun design on several warship designs, one of which was the Yamoto class. The Yamoto herself was a test bed ship, never intended to enter service, but the third Yamoto class to emerge from the Utopia Planetia shipwards was the USS Katana, a golliath of a ship with a unique hull design, armed with two forward assault phasers and armoured shielding.

The Katana was destroyed by Captain Sethur after being crippled in a battle with two Klingon heavy cruisers. The Klingons were repulsed.

The Katana suffered many design flaws1, so after her destruction, Captain Sethur returned to Starfleet Academy and became the first captain in history to enroll in the engineering school. At the time, optronic systems were replacing the older duotronic systems. As a result, Captain Sethur was in one of the last classes to be taught both systems.

After graduating he taught tactics and combat strategy for several years at the academy. Once the Klingon's signed the peace treaty Captain Sethur believed he would be retired, but then came the Orion pirates and the colony raiders and the increased threat from the Romulans, so Starfleet command decided it was a waste of resources to have a captain with actual combat experience teaching at the academy.

He was offered command of the USS Fortune, an Okinawa class ship, designed for border patrol and exploration. A much lighter and less armed ship than the Katana, Captain Sethur felt it was the right time for a change and accepted.

After several years of border patrols and science experiements, the Fortune was a ship that Starfleet felt could be relied upon to get the job done. When arogue Klingon captain attacked several colonies near the Klingon border, the Fortune was the nearest ship to intercept. Starfleet sent an Excelsior class ship to help, and word from the Klingons indicated they were sending two B'Rel birds of prey to apprehend the Klingon commander, however neither would arrive before the rogue Klingon, in an Emperor class ship, attacked the next colony.

The Fortune was no match for the Emperor, a beefed up D-7 with four nacelles and four IVP (Impulse Velocity Projecties2). Her weapons would tear through the Fortune's hull within minutes of a fire fight. It was at this point that several skills acquired over the years came together and Captain Sethur performed the Sethur maneouver.

Being highly maneouverable, Captain Sethur performed a series of tight turns while in a constant roll around the Emperor class. This kept his ship orbiting the dorsal and ventral sections of the Klingon while able to fire phasers at the shields, and prevented all but a few disruptors being fired back, and kept the IVPs and heavy torpedo from bearing on his ship. Using this maneuover he was able to cripple the Klingon's engines and weapons, and then left her drifting. Rumour has it that the birds of prey shot her to pieces rather than capture a disgraced Klingon captain and crew.

The Sethur maneouver is now required reading for all Starfleet graduates as an example of how a vastly outgunned ship can overcome a larger ship.

After this he retuned to Starfleet HQ, and transferred to Starfleet research, where he remained for several years, using his knowledge as a serving captain and enginner to help design the new ships rolling off the Utopia Planetia production lines. He was involved in the Galaxy class and Akira projects, as well as the refit of several old starbases and starports.

His current assignment is the USS Tricolor, a Prometheus class ship. It is curently on loan to Starfleet Research, as a long range, deployable, re-directional interferometer. Captain Sethur loves the irony that one of the most powerful and complex warships ever build by Staarfleet spends half its time devoted to science.

Qualifications

  • Pilot - rank 3
  • Qualified Engineer

Additional entries

1See the Katana entry for more details2Like a small shuttle at impulse speed packed with explosive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2415610

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more