The Bookworm Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworms by Amy <br/>
<br/>
the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

The Parrot's Theorem, Denis Guedj

I've never been particularly fond of Maths. Algebra was okay, I always felt I'd achieved something when I'd solved an equation, but in general I couldn't wait to finish the GCSE. I found that it took me a while to work out how to do something, and this frustrated me. So you might think that a book concerning mathematical theorems would be left on the library shelf, but I like learning new things, and assumed the theorems would be mentioned in passing.

I was wrong. The Parrot's Theorem is set in Paris. 84 year old bookshop owner Mr Ruche is sent a library of rare mathematical tomes by an old friend. He hears that the friend has died in suspicious circumstances after claiming to have found the proofs for Goldbach's Conjecture and Fermat's Last Theorem. Mr Ruche and the family who live with him, Perrette and her children Jon, Lea and Max try to find out who is responsible for Grosrouve's death, as well as the identity of the mysterious friend who has memorised the proofs.

Meanwhile, Max rescues a parrot from supposed animal traffickers in a flea market. The parrot, Sidney, helps the family to sift through the library looking for clues to Grosrouve's death. In doing so, they learn about the history of mathematics and try to decipher lots of mathematical problems. As they learn, so does the reader. There are lots of diagrams in the book, illustrating the various theorems, and the novel turns into an exciting and educational thriller.

I found the theorems to be explained in a detailed and reasonably easy to understand way. The storyline made the novel a fun and useful way to learn Maths. I would recommend The Parrot's Theorem to anyone wishing to study Maths above GCSE standard, as I'm sure it would provide an excellent and interesting starting point to their studies. However, if like me, you tend to avoid Maths as much as possible, still give this book a try. I think you'll find it more rewarding than you'd first think.

The Bookworm Club Review Archive

Review written by Pinwheel Pearl

15.04.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2520118

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more