Faking chess

4 Conversations



People play chess everywhere. Even in Hollywood.


There, a special variation I will for the sake of indoctrination call Fake Chess, dominates. This very odd game probably evolved on film sets, as opposed to traditional chess which was first spotted in ancient India.


Anyone who can operate a VCR or cinema ticket will have observed actors to apply a very peculiar set of playing rules:

Fake chess playing rules:

  • The only legal move is mate
  • Opening, middle and end game are simply skipped
  • At this stage, one actor will furiously contemplate the board, completely failing to look very intelligent
  • He will make a random move and be ostensibly happy with it*
  • His opponent will make a casual remark possibly relevant to the movie plot concerned, and then play mate
  • The first player will look extremely surprised*



Examples of this theme abound, recently including Madonna's clip 'power of goodbye' and Independance Day (Jeff Goldblum is a Fake Chess Grandmaster).
Notable exceptions in the movie world are 'Searching for Bobby Fisher' and 'Fresh' which are excellent stuff.


The total lack of logic or skill involved in mastering Fake Chess make it an ideal starting point for anyone not really interested in chess.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A253937

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more