Myers Briggs Type Indicator Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Myers Briggs Type Indicator

7 Conversations

The Myers Briggs Type Indicator is a commonly used personality test. Those who take the test receive a four letter categorisation denoting a 'type'. These four letters are to distinguish between four pairs of factors: 'introversion and extroversion', 'intuition and sensing', 'feeling and thinking', and 'judging and perceiving'. There are a total of 16 types:

  • INFJ
  • INFP
  • INTJ
  • INTP
  • ISFJ
  • ISFP
  • ISTJ
  • ISTP
  • ENFJ
  • ENFP
  • ENTJ
  • ENTP
  • ESFJ
  • ESFP
  • ESTJ
  • ESTP

Each type has a distinctly different personality. This personality is a sum of the factors described below.

Introversion (I) or Extroversion (E)

Introversion (I) is the preference to seek refuge within. Introverts tend to be quiet and withdrawn people. They enjoy being alone and find this experience refreshing. Social situations tax the introvert's energy. Where an extrovert (E) could be at a party all night long and go off to another in the morning, an introvert may bee seen as a 'party-pooper'. This is not the case. The introvert 'is pooped by the party1'.

Intuition (N) or Sensing (S)

Intuition (N) is the tendency to read between the lines. Those who use intuition are not easily fooled. They often see below the surface of situations and act on seemingly hidden information. Something quite obvious to these people may be completely hidden to a senser (S). The 'intuition' type often uses imagery and metaphors in written or spoken language2. Sensers notice details, those who tend towards intuition notice the whole.

Feeling (F) or Thinking (T)

Feeling (F) is the preference to make choices 'on a personal basis3', rather than objectively. Feeling (F) people are seen as more emotional than thinking (T) people. Thinking people just don't show it. Feelers are warm-hearted and personal, while thinkers may be perceived as 'cold hearted' and impersonal. More women than men are feelers, and the opposite is true for thinkers.

Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)

Judging (J) is the preference for closure, as opposed to the 'open-ended'. Judgers are more apt to make a decision quickly and stick to it. Judgers are likely to have a planner and do things on schedule. Perceivers (P) are likely to put off a decision due to the fact that if a decision is made, it may not be able to be changed. Perceivers are flexible, though they may need to be reminded of important things, and a planner is a good idea.

1Keirsey, 1984.2Keirsey, 1984.3Keirsey, 1984.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A261884

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more