Here is an easy recipe for a great little soup. It comes from North Africa and it's very tasty. You can adjust the spices according to your own particular taste.
Serves 6 - 8
- 100g Haricot Beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 100g Chick peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 100g brown or green lentils, washed, drained
- 3 litres water
- 450g tomatoes tinned or quartered
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons flour
- juice 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put beans, peas and lentils in the water and boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until pulses are tender.
- Add tomatoes, onions, tumeric and coriander and leave for 1/2 hour.
- Beat flour and 175ml water into a smooth paste and stir in.
- Cook for another 15 minutes or until pulses are soft and just breaking up, add more water if necessary.
- Adjust the seasoning, stir in lemon juice and serve.