Lettters From the Earth

0 Conversations

Author: Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
ISBN: 0-06-092105-6
Fiction, first copyright, 1938 by The Mark Twain Co.

This is one of my favorite books, and if I recall corrrectly, one of the first of Twain's "Great Dark Writings" that I read. The main crux of this book is religion, where Twain takes a more sarcastic look and humanity and the plights that they place on themselves and what they blame on "God". He takes the ideas of the human race, stomps on them for a while and throws most of them in the trash on account that they are unusable and totally proposterous. The main section of this book is based on a series of letters written by Satan, after he is banned from Heaven and sent to "do time" here on Earth. It is here that Twain uses the main theme of the book and sort of pokes fun at human beings in general. Although this is not the only section that he trashes the ideals of humanity, as there are many more sections to read and enjoy in this book. This book overall is a great view of humanity and a great read. (Very interesting indeed.)
Just as a little help, here is the list of short stories contained within this book(As many of Mark Twain's "Great Dark Writings" have many repeated shorts between them, this'll help you to better find what your looking for.)
-Letters From The Earth
-Papers Of The Adam Family*
-Letter To The Earth
-A Cat-Tale
-Official Report To The I.I.A.S.
-The Gorkey Incident
-Simplified Spelling
-Something About Repentance
-From An English Notebook*
-The French and the comanchies (A great section that compares the French to the comanchie indians of North America, indeed a great piece and is one of my personal favorites.)
-From an Unfinished Burlesque of Books on Etiquette*
-The Damned Human Race*(Contains a review on another of my favorite books, La Terre.)
-The Great Dark

*- these works are broken down even farther into smaller sections of no lesser importance than the larger ones, it's just that I was afraid that they would make this review seem to go on to infinity.
><>JW

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A283187

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more