Shredded Beef - 'Ropa Vieja' Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Shredded Beef - 'Ropa Vieja'

2 Conversations

Cuban beef is slowly cooked until the meat tenderises. It's then shredded to create a rich, tender stew. It's served with white or yellow rice.

Ingredients

  • 3½ lbs skirt, flank or braising steak
  • 5 cloves of garlic, mashed with 1 teaspoon salt
  • 32 ounce can of crushed tomatoes OR 2 cups of tomato sauce
  • 2 green peppers, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Method

  1. Do not trim excess fat from meat before cooking, it adds to the flavour and tenderises the meat. You can remove any excess fat when you shred the beef later.
  2. Season the meat with salt and pepper and lightly dust it with flour.
  3. In a large pan or casserole pot, brown the meat in oil.
  4. Add enough water to surround the meat, but not cover it.
  5. Cover the pan and bring the water to a simmer.
  6. Cook gently for one to two hours, add a little more water if necessary. Meat will be fork tender.
  7. Remove from heat and cool.
  8. Shred the meat. Saute onions, garlic and green pepper in oil until onions are translucent. Add all the remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Put the pan on to cook gently for 30 minutes.
  10. Remove the bay leaves and serve the beef with rice.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A283312

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more