The 'e' mark Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The 'e' mark

1 Conversation

Have you ever wondered what the 'e' symbol on many packaged goods meant? Not the 'E' followed by a three figure number in the list of ingredients (the infamous 'E' number), but the large lower-case e that appears after the weight or volume on items – from cans of fizzy drink to tins of beans and bars of chocolate. While it obviously has some meaning related to the size of the product, the meaning is perhaps not as well-known as the more familiar (to British Researchers) kitemark which indicates that the manufactured product meets some particular British Standard.

What does it look like?

If you have no packaging around with the 'e' mark on, you can see what it looks like here. Its design is a standardised shape of a sans serif1 lowercase e with straight inner contours. This shape can be considered a logotype2, and has been defined as a Unicode character with the designation U+212E.

There are legal requirements as to how it should appear on packaging. It should be:

  • at least 3mm high;
  • in the same field of vision as the statement of nominal quantity; and
  • indelible, clearly legible, and visible under normal conditions of purchase.

Who is it for?

It is used in Europe on product packaging to show the estimated volume of the product, and is for the benefit of customs and trading standards officials. The 'e' mark on goods provides exemption from some laws relating to weights and measures, thus allowing these goods to be moved more simply throughout the EC without tedious rechecking at borders. This has allowed the emphasis for enforcement of trading standards to move from the retail level to controls on where the goods are manufactured, packaged or imported.

What does it signify?

Traditionally the practice of selling by weight or volume works on the basis that the purchaser does not get less than what they are paying for. The 'e' mark allows for the potential inaccuracies of packaging systems and gives the important assurance that:

  • The actual contents of the packages shall not be less, on average, than the nominal quantity stated.

There are no regulations on being given more than you are paying for, but obviously it is uneconomic for manufacturers to do so. The impetus of the regulations is to ensure packaging is reasonably accurate. In addition there are two further rules, specifying how much inaccuracy is allowed, that must be satisfied before the mark can be used:

  • Not more than 2.5% of packages3 may be non-standard: ie, have Tolerable Negative Errors (TNE) greater than that specified for the particular nominal quantity.
  • No package may be inadequate (ie, be deficient) by more than twice the TNE.

In other words: not only is the item a certain size, but only rarely will it be less than that size, and never by more than a small amount.

Want to know more?

The 'e' mark relates to a very small part of the history of metrology, the science of weights and measures. The specific use of the mark is defined in European Directive 71/316/EEC, as well as in the UK implementation of the directive, in the Weights and Measures Act 1985 Part V.

Further Reading

The Entry on Units of Measurement will tell you more about the SI4 measures used by metrological machines to give standard comparisons.

1Sans serif means 'without serifs', serifs being small lines on the ends of the larger strokes of characters, which have been found in many studies to make text easier to read.2A logotype is a special character used in printing, eg æ or & - not a standard letter.3No more than one in every 40.4Système Internationale.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A3022615

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more