Wollongong Science Centre, Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Wollongong Science Centre, Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

2 Conversations

The Wollongong Science Centre is located in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia. More specifically, it is located in Squire's Way, Fairy Meadow. It was officially opened by a Member of Parliament in May 2000. The science centre has a range of activities with varying degrees of difficulty suitable for interested adults and children.

The two-storey building contains various exhibitions that are regularly changed and updated. 'Hands on' activities are promoted and encouraged by the science centre, and most of the exhibits involve some sort of human interaction. Exhibits in the science centre generally focus on one or more major themes. These themes are changed every few months, and thus the activities are changed. Some examples of activities include educational computer games, experiments involving water and air, strength and reflex tests and information about stars and planets.

Planetarium

A large planetarium that seats 70 is part of the science centre. The planetarium is able to show the positions of celestial bodies as they appear to us on earth, and how they move around. Shows in the planetarium that focus on specific aspects of astronomy regularly take place, as does a 'laser show' (where lasers are projected around the room to form patterns, in time to music).

Information for Visitors

The science centre charges a small fee for entry, but there are different prices for adults and children. Yearly memberships are also available - these allow you to visit as many times as you like without paying again. The science centre is open for around six hours a day, every day (including most public holidays). The time you will need in the centre depends on how many activities you want to do and the attention-span of the people involved - a couple of hours should be sufficient, but keen visitors may want to spend a whole day in the centre. There are activities available for very young children. A kiosk is open to serve lunch in the afternoon, and a party room is available to be booked on weekends and school holidays. Also on weekends and school holidays there are science shows that take place, demonstrating various aspects of exciting science to an audience. A science shop is located in the centre, selling various types of scientific books, equipment and fun stuff.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A3152107

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more