Frenzal Rhomb - the Band Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Frenzal Rhomb - the Band

2 Conversations

Frenzal Rhomb are a punk band from Sydney, Australia. They have been playing music for ten years, and have released six albums1, two compilations2 and 16 singles/EPs. The band currently consists of Jason 'Jay' Whalley (vocals), Lindsay 'Dr Lindemans' McDougal (guitar), Gordy Foreman (drums) and Tom Crease (bass). Past members include Alexis 'Lex' Feltam, the previous bass player, who was replaced by Tom after he mysteriously left the band.

The Singles and EPs

Frenzal Rhomb's singles and EPs (in chronological order) are:

  • 'Dick Sandwich'[EP] (1994)
  • 'Parasite' (1996)
  • '4 Litres'[7" EP] (1996)
  • 'Punch in the Face'[EP] (1996)
  • 'Sorry About the Ruse' (1997)
  • 'Disappointment' (1997)
  • 'There's Your Dad'[EP] (1997)
  • 'Mr Charisma'[EP] (1997)
  • 'Mum Changed the Locks' (1998)
  • 'Racist (Some of my Best Friends are...)'[EP] (1998)
  • 'We're Going Out Tonight'[EP] (1999)
  • 'You Are Not My Friend' (1999)
  • 'Never Had So Much Fun' (1999)
  • 'War'[EP] (2000)
  • 'I Miss My Lung' (2000)
  • 'Coming Home' (2001)

The Albums

Frenzal Rhomb's albums (in chronological order) are:

  • Coughing Up a Storm (1995)
  • Not So Tough Now (1997)
  • Meet the Family (1998)
  • A Man's Not a Camel (1999)
  • Shut Your Mouth (2001)
  • Sans Souci (2003)

The band's latest compilation, For the Term of Their Unnatural Lives was a re-release of 'Dick Sandwich', but also contained some B-sides from previous singles, as well as some songs never before released. The compilation Once a Jolly Swagman, Always a Jolly Swagman was only released in America, and contained both 'Dick Sandwich' and Coughing up a Storm, as 'Dick Sandwich' was not released in America at the time.

The majority of Frenzal Rhomb's songs are about everyday happenings, and are usually comical to some extent. Some examples of this are 'Mum Changed the Locks' (Meet the Family), 'There's Your Dad' (Meet the Family) and 'I Went Out With a Hippy and Now I Love Everyone Except Her' (Sans Souci). Some other comical song titles are 'I Know Everything About Everything' and 'All Your Friends Think You're A F**khead'.

Frenzal Rhomb have said a few humorous things over the ages, such as 'If, at first, you don't succeed, it probably means you're crap', and (from their website) 'Four gorgeous new desktops guaranteed to get even the bravest sheep a little bit nervous'. They have also had quite a bit of publicity over the past year (2004) in Australia. The lead singer, Jay, appeared on a Sydney radio station and had a very controversial, nine-minute interview with deejays Jackie-O and Kyle.

Frenzal Rhomb have released their albums, EPs, singles and compilations on many differing record labels. These include Fat Wreck Chords, Epitaph, Shock, Shagpile, and their own label, aptly named 'Frenzal Rhomb'. They've also been on many tours in the US, Japan and Europe - and Australia, of course - and are considered a great example of the skill that can come out of Australia in the way of punk music.

1Their first EP release 'Dick Sandwich' is often counted as their first album which can cause some confusion.2Although these two are Frenzal Rhomb's solo work, they have also been featured in countless other punk rock compilations.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A3245203

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more