'Principia Mathematica' by Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

'Principia Mathematica' by Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead

2 Conversations

Principia Mathematica was written by English academics Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead, and first published in 1910. The book consists almost entirely of propositional calculus, a system of symbols describing logical statements.

It was not a bestseller, and while not recommended as light reading, it is notable as a possible model for the time travellers' manual of grammar mentioned in the Hitchhiker trilogy, which, you will recall, was blank after the initial chapters. A number of works could lay claim to the title, but Principia Mathematica has a special plea: most editions appearing after the initial publication include only the first fifty-six chapters. Russel revised the book, removing much of the propositional calculus, and published it with the snappier title, The Principles of Mathematics; but again sales were slow. Perhaps we will never know what he was trying to say.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A337303

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more