Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips

2 Conversations

A country lane in Texas.

Grow A Little Rhubarb

History

The common Garden Rhubarb, botanical name Rheum x hybridum is well known by gardeners since the late 17th Century for its edible stems, which are used in a variety of dishes, with the most common being 'Rhubarb Crumble'.

Around 2700 BC, a plant was discovered growing on the ancient Chinese banks of Volga, which was named Rheum palmatum, the medicinal equivalent of rhubarb. It was found to be exceptionally useful to treat a range of ailments from the 'Plague' to constipation and diarrhoea. It is still commonly used in Chinese medicine today to treat a range of different problems.

Warning: Always consult your doctor before trying any complementary medicines.

Growing From Seed

You can buy rhubarb seeds, but the culinary type, Rheum x hybridum, is not normally found in seed catalogues or shops. This is because they are often difficult to germinate and usually take about three years before you'll know whether or not it has been a success, by the taste and colour of stems. They are also said to be never true to variety when growing from seed. The best way is to buy a plant, or ask a friend or neighbour who has rhubarb, to give you a piece to try.

Growing Rhubarb Successfully

Rhubarb prefers a sunny position but can tolerate partial shade in a well fertilised soil. It is best to prepare the ground at least a month in advance, November to April being the best months for planting. It is ideal to dig down between one to two feet, digging in plenty of organic matter such as well-rotted manure, to give the best possible start.

Rhubarb needs dividing every 6 years to avoid crowding and poor growth. It is best done between December and early March, as this is usually the time they are dormant.

Choose a dry day when the ground is neither frozen nor waterlogged, carefully dig around the clump, then use a fork to lift it out of the ground. Make sure that you dig deeply and lift as much root as possible, not shaking any of the soil off the roots. Don't worry if you do break a few roots, rhubarb is usually a tough old plant. Once on the soil surface, use a spade and chop the rhubarb in half, or in three if it's a fairly large clump. Dig plenty of organic matter or compost into the soil before re-planting, spreading the clumps out approximately 40 to 48 inches (100 to 120 cm) to allow for growth.
Plant so that the very top of the clump is just above soil level, treading firmly in before watering.

It is best to mulch around the crown each season to ensure a good crop. Use organic matter or leaf mould to add essential nutrients into the soil.

Forcing Rhubarb To Ensure An Earlier Crop

If you would like to beat your neighbours and enjoy a rhubarb crumble earlier in the year, then why not have a go at forcing your rhubarb. It is an easy procedure which gives you an earlier crop of sweet red stems which taste delicious.

Approximately by February, place a large black bucket or even a plastic compost bin over the top of your clump and leave in place, the key is not to let any light in for a couple of months. Ideally, place straw around the crown before placing the bucket/compost bin over. In about April, you should have lovely lush red stems which are ready for picking, but it does depend on the area that you live in.

It is best not to force them every season because of putting the plant under stress and basically tiring it out; every two years is best.

Harvesting Rhubarb

Do not pull any stems during the first season when planting, in the second year pull a couple, making sure that there are four or five left on the plant. From the third year onwards, you will be able to harvest more, but still make sure that you leave four or five stems on, so it does not stress the plant out.

May to July will be the best time for harvesting, make sure that the leaves are fully out and they have nice thick stems. Carefully twist the desired stem, as low to the ground as possible, taking care not to pull too hard which can result in stem and plant damage.

Do not pick after August as the stems will become very green and taste bitter, resulting in stomach ache and nausea.

Rhubarb Leaves

Rhubarb can be used for a range of other uses. However, Rheum Palmatum is better used for these purposes described below, than the original Rheum x Hybridum which is mainly for culinary uses.

As many of you probably already know, rhubarb leaves are poisonous and should not be consumed like the stems are. However, the leaves make an ideal organic insecticide which is efficient in eradicating leaf eating insects, even slugs! The secret recipe is as follows, make sure that you open your kitchen window or door because it can be a little pungent:

Pour a few pints of water in a fairly large saucepan, putting in a few pound of rhubarb leaves, boil up for approximately 15-20 minutes (remember the mask - pungent smell!), then leave to fully cool before straining the liquid into a container. When you are ready to use, dissolve a few soap flakes into the mixture and use on your plants. Simple!

An old method that is still used, is to put all of your unused rhubarb leaves into a large water butt or other suitable device, making sure that you put a lockable lid on. It should be filled with water and left for a couple of weeks or longer, then use on your aphid/leaf eating problems. This process is a smellier one, so if you don't get on with your neighbours, leave the lid off for a few hours every day.

Another good tip is that you can use rhubarb (leaves or stems) to clean your burnt on, grubby pots and pans. An application of rhubarb will bring them up sparkly clean. Remember to rinse well after applying.

Warning: Keep pets and livestock away, as rhubarb leaves are poisonous.

Rhubarb Triangle

The rhubarb we find in our supermarket will come from abroad during the dormant season in England.

In various areas of the country there are Rhubarb Farms, which force rhubarb in specially designed sheds to get the young, red, sweet stems which are the best for eating.

A very interesting website which tells you more about rhubarb growing and the 'Rhubarb Triangle' is:

brandycarrnurseries

Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips
Archive

youngsuper_Nigel

27.03.2008 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A33793103

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more