Talking Point: What's in a name?

8 Conversations

A rose.

Well blow us down with a feather. While we've been busy tittering at the ridiculous names celebrities give their offspring, it seems the special ones may have known a thing or two. Because bestowing kids with monikers like Princess Tiaamii, Peaches or Cruz might actually be doing them a favour. A recent poll of 6,000 people found that certain sounds in a name, or links with royalty, can make people seem more successful or attractive. And as we know, preconceptions can have a big influence in how life turns out.


Attractive girls' names were those ending with the 'ee' sound while sexy male names are short and harder sounding. Names like Ann and George were seen as the least attractive, and Lisa and Brian the most likely to fail. James and Elizabeth were viewed as the most successful and Jack and Lucy the luckiest. Surprisingly, loads of wacky celebrity names were given the thumbs up. So, for this week's talking point, we want to know:


  • What's in a name - can your name influence your life?

  • Do you like your name, or do you wish you had a different one?

  • What's your favourite male and female names?

  • If you weren't held back by convention, what would you name your kids?

  • What would get your vote as the daftest celebrity offspring name?

  • What do you think are the most unattractive male and female names?

  • What names from our grandparents' generation that should be brought back into vogue?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A34348539

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more