Sunset!

0 Conversations

Picture this. It's a warm summer evening and you're just coming back towards the village, walking briskly. The sun is a huge, shimmering orange-red ball, sinking towards the horizon. You stop opposite a gap in the hedge to admire this astonishing spectacle of nature. And as you stand there, awe struck, soaking in the splendour, it appears to expand, brighten and hurtle towards you at an alarming speed.

A moment's consideration informs you that the sunset you've been watching has masked a more sinister event: a meteor strike. You stand for another moment, indecisive, transfixed - like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Then you start running for home. Even as you run in terror, you're aware that your effort to escape the inevitable conflagration is futile. There's nowhere to hide. The walls of your house will not protect you. The thing is just too huge: a fabulous crimson nightmare that fills the whole western quarter of the sky, moving at the speed of light, blasting all before it.

You can't help running though. It's not something you can fight. You can only run. It's a primal instinct that drives you. Otherwise, you might drop dead from fear.

But as your legs are pumping, heart pounding, lungs struggling for air, the front part of your brain throws up a thought. You try to suppress the rising sense of panic in order to give this thought some attention. The thought is this: it makes no difference now. Here or at home, you're already as good as dead. The infernal fire-ball is moving too fast. You'll never make it in any case. The sensible thing would be to stop here and watch this once-in-a-life-time show and go out in a blaze of glory.

So you stop running and climb to the top of the bank and settle down to watch the greatest show on Earth. Only, the hot wind has dropped. There's a final flare of red-gold brilliance and the fields at the edge of the world appear to boil. Then the sun's power is swallowed by the horizon.

That was a killer sun-set: a light-show to die for - and you thought you were going to. You walk home on a cushion of air, just above the ground. Stunned, moved, changed. You're more alive inside than you were before.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A34931784

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more