Whatever Next

2 Conversations

The Infinite Improbability Drive - Read a Random Entry from the Edited Guide

Here is the next entry in the modestly anticipated series called... Well I never actually came up with a catchy name for it. Anyway, if you need to see the rules or any explanation, see May I Conduct an Experiment?. The series will be ten episodes long, so bear that in mind with plot development and such. The entries referenced in this episode come up as linked entries wherever your skin usually puts them, and the Post Team have included the next five entries to be used to continue this story at the end. The first person to follow up by adding their name will take on responsibility for the next episode.

Please keep up the challenge of...

Whatever Next...

Episode Four

Lisa's weekend

Lisa had arrived at Glasgow late Friday night and gone straight to bed after sending a text message to Dave, letting him know that she'd arrived safely.

Saturday, she had spent doing some shopping - she loved browsing the shops for things she didn't really need, it was so stress free and made a nice change from the boring shopping for groceries she was stuck with most of the time. An esoteric shop had caught her attention, and she had entered it with a good measure of curiosity. My, the things they sold there. She briefly wondered what sort of people actually spent great amounts of money to buy the stuff. Still, it had been a fascinating experience, and she had even found and bought a booklet listing old herbal cures. Once back home, she had settled down with a good cup of tea and started reading the booklet. She had looked up dandelion, as she knew that Dave was drinking dandelion tea frequently. According to the booklet, it had a blood-cleansing effect, so she guessed he did something right. When specifically looking for eczema, she found that Ribwort was said to have a positive effect. Not in form of a tea, mind, that was said to have a similar effect to dandelion tea, but as an external treatment: the juice of fresh ribwort leaves had to be applied on the inflamed skin. She thought this was worth a try, and decided to suggest it to Dave next time they met.

Then she had called her friend Ann Kristina, asking her to pop over for a cuppa and the latest gossip. Ann Kristina had only just returned from visiting her family in Norway, and said she had brought some Norwegian specialty for the birthday buffet. They had spent a very pleasant evening together, exchanging the latest news and comparing the gyms they went to.

Lisa was very pleased with hers: not only didn't it cost her anything, but it provided some privacy for the more squeamish women, too. There was the common showers and cloakroom, as well as a separate cubicle in each, for which Lisa was grateful. Ever since she had been a little girl, other children had started sniggering and pointing at her with fingers when she changed clothes. Her third nipple had been the reason why visiting public swimming pools or beach parties, as well as most sporting activities had been a no-no for all her life.

She knew she'd have been burnt as a witch only a few centuries ago, but she had often wondered just why she was born with a third nipple in the first place. Was it to do with the Project Gnome all those years ago? Her dad had worked on the site, drilling the shaft, and he had been part of the recovery team the week after the experiment. Had the radiation somehow affected him? She didn't know, and it was unlikely she'd ever find out. She had gone to bed in a sober mood.

On Sunday morning, Lisa had attended mass in her former parish church of Saint Mungo's.

She had lit two candles, the first for the 'dear one1', the second for Rick Rescorla whom her brother Gerald owed his life to. Gerald had worked at WTC2 when the plane crashed into it, and he belonged to the lucky ones who had been rescued by that Cornish hero. Ever since, Lisa had made it a point to light a candle for him on her brother's birthday.

Slowly, she walked home, thinking of all the things that still needed preparing for the birthday party. First of all, she had to wrap the gift she had bought. It was the first two books of Euclid's Elements, which Dave had told her about when she had asked him for advice on what gift to choose. She really hoped Mungo Jerry would like it, but she was far from being sure. She pushed the thought aside and turned her attention to the party. There were the tables to be laid and the buffet to be set, but once that was done, she could have a short rest until the first party guests arrived.

About an hour later, she slouched herself into the corner of the couch. She was well pleased with everything, and now she had a few moments to herself. She wondered why she hadn't heard anything from Dave since she had last seen him on Friday morning.

When she had been with Dave for the very first time some three months previously, she had been extremely happy, it had been like a dream come true. Just remembering his kisses made her toes curl. Until then, she had always believed that it was something that over-imaginative authors made up to sell their books and films, not anything that happened in real life. For the very first time, she had felt beautiful, and loved, and all her anxieties had been blown away by his passion. But now her fears surfaced again. She loved him; she missed him; her life didn't feel complete without him, which was surprising, considering the short time they had been together now, and it seemed like yet another cliché. Why hadn't he called, or texted? Was he already fed up with her? She tried to be rational, searching for a logical explanation for his silence, but she couldn't think of anything.

Somebody plonked onto the seat next to her on the couch, bringing her back to the now and here. She'd been so lost in her reverie that she hadn't realised that the first guests had arrived. It was Ann Kristina, offering her a sandwich with something that looked a bit like - well, she couldn't really tell what it looked like.

'That's Brunost,' Ann Kristina beamed, 'brown cheese. Remember, I told you I'd bring something special.'

Carefully, Lisa took a bite. 'That tastes- err - interesting,' she said.

She looked around to see who else was there. Across the room, she discovered a man she didn't know. She was sure she had seen that face before, though. She tried to remember, but in vain. When he moved towards her, it suddenly dawned on her: he had been at the church this morning.

'Hello,' he said, 'haven't we met before?'...




The next episode will be based on the following five entries, selected by the Post Team with the Infinite Improbability Drive:




If you want to write the next instalment, sign up below.

Whatever Next Archive

B'Elana

22.05.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Mungo translates as 'dear one'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A36191432

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more