The h2g2 Post Recipe

0 Conversations

Polish Bacon Spaghetti

This is a recipe handed to me by my mum. I've no idea where she got it from; there's nobody Polish in our family, and I have no idea where the dish got its name. If anyone recognises it, I'd be interested to hear from them.

It's a rich tomatoey meal, but the bacon adds its own flavour. You can add a bit of garlic if you wish, but I think this takes the emphasis away from the main taste of the meal.

Ingredients (Serves Three to Four)

  • Bacon. No set amount, I use about 6 - 8 rashers, trimmed.
  • One large onion.
  • One tin of tomatoes.
  • Tomato purée.
  • One Smoked Pork Sausage, the U-shaped variety.
  • Peppers: green and red, half of each, deseeded.
  • Oregano.
  • Black Pepper, coarsely ground.
  • Spaghetti. The sort in a packet, not the tinned stuff.
  • Olive oil.

Method

Chop the bacon into pieces (about 2cm long). Chop the onion, but not too finely—larger chunks give a good texture to the meal.

Put the onion and bacon into a frying pan or wok, and cook with just a little olive oil.

Once the bacon is cooked, add the tin of tomatoes. Either use the chopped variety, or mash them up yourself. Use all the tin's content, including the juice.

Add oregano and ground pepper to taste, and a good squirt of tomato purée. I use quite a lot; it gives a good, rich taste to the meal. Turn the heat down to simmer.

Set a pan of water on to boil.

Chop the peppers into small slices, and add these to the wok.

While this is cooking, slice the sausage into 1cm thick slices. Lay them on a plate, and microwave1 them for about three minutes, until cooked. Add them to the wok.

Put the spaghetti into the boiling water, and cook as you would do normally. Once cooked, drain, and if desired, toss in a little butter.

Serve onto warmed plates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe
but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be
copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to The
Post Team
.

Recipe Archive

Moonhogg

05.06.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Alternatively, put them into a separate pan and cook them on the hob for a few minutes.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A36711731

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more