How to Cook Spicy Thai Style Fish Soup Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

How to Cook Spicy Thai Style Fish Soup

0 Conversations

Thai food is very exotic and has interesting contrasts in flavours. It draws on influences throughout South-East Asian food. This recipe is not authentic Thai, but a mixture of Thai seasoning and traditional English soup. This will make enough soup for eight portions.

Before you attempt this, you need to have a hand blender or a food processor and a very large pan.

Ingredients

  • Two tuna steaks1
  • A bunch of celery2
  • Two carrots
  • Two leeks
  • A white cabbage
  • Two large peppers
  • Three red onions
  • A bunch of broccoli
  • Fresh coriander
  • Five large cloves of garlic
  • 2.5cm cube of ginger
  • Three green chillies
  • Thai green paste
  • Lemon grass (preferably in oil)
  • 300ml coconut milk
  • Thai fish sauce3
  • Thai seven spice4
  • Soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper
  • A lime
  • A lemon

Method

  1. The first step is to make the sauce for the vegetables to cook in. Into your blender, place four of the cloves of garlic, two of the chillies and the ginger. Add some oil (groundnut or sesame), liberal splash of fish sauce and one big teaspoon of lemon grass. Add plenty of fresh coriander and black pepper and the juice of your lime then blend until it is a nice consistent sauce.

  2. Start to chop some of the vegetables. You need to chop all of the red onions, two sticks of celery, one of the leeks, one of the peppers, one of the carrots, a large handful of cabbage and half of your broccoli.

  3. Throw all of these into your large pan and add a liberal splash of seven spice and a heaped teaspoon of green paste. Now pour the sauce you made in step one onto the veg and add about 500-600ml boiling water5. Put on a very low heat and leave to simmer for about an hour.

  4. In the meantime cut up the other carrot, pepper, leek, chilli, as well as the remaining broccoli into small bits (about 1.5cm cubed).

  5. At this stage you must prepare the tuna. Pour a little oil into a frying pan and add the juice of half the lemon. Crush the remaining garlic clove and add some salt and pepper and heat until it is reasonably hot. Add the two tuna steaks and cook for about 3-5 min on each side until nicely brown.

  6. Once cooked, one of the steaks should be chopped up and put to one side with the chopped vegetables.

  7. The other steak and the juice from the pan should be added to the simmering vegetables. Now using your hand blender6, blend the whole lot up into a creamy consistency mixture.7.

  8. Add the tin of coconut milk, some soy sauce and taste. If necessary add additional seasoning, or some chilli sauce if it is not hot enough.

  9. Add the chopped vegetables and tuna. Return it all to the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Serve piping hot with a little fresh coriander on top.

1This can be changed to taste or on the basis of availability, however fresh tuna is a strong-tasting fish that is not overawed by the powerful flavours used here.2Again, all of these vegetables can be changed according to taste or availability. If you are lucky enough to have a specialist oriental food stockist nearby then much more authentic vegetables should be available to you.3A pungent salty condiment, called locally Nam Pla, which is widely used in Thai and other South-East Asian recipes.4A Blend of Thai spices sold in almost all supermarkets. It contains salt, chilli powder, garlic, coriander seed, lemon peel, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, dried chillies, star anise, onion powder, jalepeno powder and cloves. Probably easier to buy the mix though.5Enough to nearly cover the vegetables.6If you have a food processor transfer the whole mixture to it to blend.7Be careful that you don't melt the hand-blender if it is not heat-resistant.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A3788832

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more