Umbrellas Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Umbrellas

10 Conversations

The wooden handles of umbrellas curling out of an umbrella stand.

An umbrella is a portable roof to keep raindrops at bay.

More frequently it is carried as a lucky charm to ward off wet weather. More frequently still, it is left at home or on an outward bus, ensuring a torrential downpour will begin five minutes after you let the last bus trundle by so you can take the healthy option and walk home.

There are several styles of umbrella. The normal 'male' version is small and black. The 'female' version is brightly patterned and folds neatly away into a large pocket or handbag. An alternative 'male' style acceptable for wider use is enormous, multi-coloured and emblazoned with the name of the company that gave it away at a recent conference.

It is unnecessary to pay money for any of these three styles as lost property offices traditionally function as umbrella recycling stations, stocking a wide selection of styles recently left behind on buses and trains.

But if you find it necessary to purchase an umbrella if you find yourself in a location devoid of train or bus stations, most stores will carry them, at a relatively cheap price.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A379523

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more