Science Matters

1 Conversation

A weekly round-up of science news

Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MA)

The big news this week is that we cannot go on as we are. Over four years 1,300 scientists in 95 countries have spent $24 million going over previous environmental research. It is meant to be a conclusive global inventory of our natural resources, the results being that 60% of the planets 'ecosystem services' are being degraded or used unsustainably. The term 'ecosystem services' means natural products and processes which keep us and the planet going, such as the availability of clean air and water.

Two 'ecosystem services' are already in danger; they are fisheries and fresh water supplies. Both are so degraded that they cannot continue to support our present consumption, yet alone any future demands.

The grim picture is that our activity has changed ecosystems more in the past years than ever before in human history. Forests have completely gone in 25 countries and in another 29 countries forest cover has fallen by 90%. Nearly a quarter of the land surface is under cultivation. A snippet of good news, though, is that the amount of cropland has reduced in China and Europe and has stabilized in North America.

For the future the report has outlined 74 possible actions such as environmental tax, eliminating subsidies etc. Four scenarios were looked at, one where nothing was done and ecosystem services would continue to decline. The other three scenarios all showed some improvement. We can make a change but we need to be proactive and accept that this is all our responsibilities.

More information can be found at Millennium Ecosystem Assessment - the FAQ section is very good.

Carbon Dioxide

The above MA project is especially pertinent considering that the UK could miss its Kyoto Protocol target. Its carbon dioxide and other emissions are still too high and continuing to rise every year.
Another report this week though has said that the levels of carbon dioxide are increasing throughout the world. Measurements are taken on the Hawaiian volcano Mauna Loa, and have been for around 50 years. The rise has been small for the last 2 years, but it is still a rise. The air is thin and well-mixed here and there is no local pollution, so the results are seen as a benchmark, to judge others by.

Recycling Law

The European Union directive, Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE), was to become UK law in August. However its implementation has been delayed due to difficulties at complying with it. It would have meant the manufacturers of consumer electronics being responsible for their recycling and disposal. At present we can throw away anything and any recycling facilities available are very uncommon. In 2006 common elements Cadmium, Lead and Chromium will be banned in the EU so change is happening, albeit slowly. In light of the MA report, this has become more important and pertinent to all of us.

Fish Farming

It's strange to see old news coming up again but new studies have shown that fish farms adversely affect wild fish. In the latest study it's because of sea louse. When near to a fish farm, sea louse levels are 73 times higher than normal. I remember studying this in my fish/marine biology degree, so nothing has changed in 12 years.

Cancer diagnosis

Laser beams are now being used to differentiate between cancerous and normal cells. An accurate diagnosis needs thousands of cells but you still only need a tiny amount of tissue to accomplish this. A commercial device is not available yet, but the implications are great, including the ability to check for surrounding cancerous tissue during operations.

Cat Allergies

Most work to help this has been about changing the cat however, now, they are thinking of changing us instead. An experiment has fused the feline protein - which makes us react - with the human protein which suppresses allergic reactions. It worked in the mouse, now to try it somewhere useful in humans and then more plans are in to work on food allergies especially the nut allergy.

Rabies in Germany

There have been 24 cases of rabies found in wild foxes in Germany this year. Vaccination programmes will be stepped up, but other European countries are concerned at potentially losing their rabies free status. The fox population has increased in Europe eightfold over the last decade.

Impressing the Female

In humans, apparently, it is good to bring home cheaper presents for the wife and more expensive presents for the mistress. Well this happens in birds as well! The Great Grey Shrike will bring home a gift averaging 19 kilojoules to the partners and ones averaging 75 kilojoules to the one round the back! It seems we are all responding to our instincts.

Octopus

Octopuses have been seen walking whilst in disguise. One wraps its arms around itself to make it seem smaller, or perhaps like a coconut as they litter the seabed, and then uses 2 legs as feet and almost tip-toe away. A second holds its arms out like seaweed, and seems to drift away, again whilst using 2 legs to tip-toe away! Take a Look!

Iberian Lynx – Good News!

I originally covered the desperate position of the Lynx , when there didn't seem to be much hope. A special breeding program has resulted in 3 Lynx cubs. There are 12 captive females capable of breeding, so hopefully we will hear of more cubs soon.

Peruvian Alpacas

Peruvian farmers often have no choice of income; it's keeping Alpacas or nothing. They sell cheaply in Peru but can sell for twice the price over the border in Bolivia or Chile so a lot end up the other side of the border. This is making the unique Peruvian wool industry a lot less unique so now the Alpacas will be micro-chipped to keep them in Peru.

Animal Laughter

A researcher believes that animals may have their own form of laughter. He has observed panting in chimps and dogs and chirps in rats during play. Bearing in mind that recent research on animal emotions this seems very feasible to me and probably to anyone who has ever had a pet.

Deep Impact

NASA's space probe is meant to photograph the results when a projectile is fired into Comet Tempel 1, but the telescope for the job has gone out of focus. Hopefully this will be solved before July, when the experiment is due to go ahead.

Death Valley

That dry, hot place looks like a wild meadow at present. Conditions have all come together to ensure the best flower season for over 50 years. So heres some pictures.

The Desert Wildflower Watch has the latest news on the flowers in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. Click on these and you get a diary of what is going on in each one - the links are at the top of the page. The Wildflower Field Guide shows you all the many species you might see as well.

And Finally...

I read the following in New Scientist about computers and hacking

'Zombies are created when hackers use a virus or worm such as My Doom to gain remote access to a computer and deposit a piece of malicious code known as a bot. This bot instructs the computer to secretly log into an online chat room frequented by other zombies, and obey instructions issued by the chat room's controller, usually the person who wrote the bot virus.'

If I had read that a couple of years ago, I would have scoffed at it as some kind of sci-fi conspiracy nonsense. To read it now though and know it is true, just shows how much the world has changed.

Sources

Science Matters Archive

KazSorrel

07.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

Post 250 Banner <br/>
by Jimi X

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3866330

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more