World Headlines 24.07.00

1 Conversation

Not a crumb from the G8 table

The world's eight richest industrialised nations failed to agree any new proposals to breathe life into their flagging plans to relieve the Third World's debt burden.

  • Is it not time to just wipe the debts?

  • Are the leaders of the G8 countries really serious about this?

Washington will miss greenhouse target

The United States is unable to meet the legally binding greenhouse gas reduction target it accepted at the Kyoto Climate Conference in 1998.

  • Does anyone still care about the greenhouse effect?

  • Will the US pay for not meeting this agreement?

Israeli's hint at shared Jerusalem

Israeli ministers abandoned the sacred Shibboleth of Jerusalem as the 'undivided and eternal capital of the Jewish people' in a first tentative attempt to soften up their public for a compromise with the Palestinians on the most explosive topic at the Camp David summit in the US.

  • Is it worth dying over the 'my God is better than your God' argument?

  • Will the people of Israel accept any agreement from these talks?

US shifts on Cuban embargo

Opponents of the US embargo on Cuba claimed an important tactical victory after the US House of Representatives voted to lift the sanctions on food and medicine and relax the ban on Americans travelling to the island.

  • Why after the fall of the Soviet Union is America still afraid of Cuba?

  • Is the Cuban system so wrong or just different from America's?


OB1 Knordic


24.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A400744

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more