Recipes

0 Conversations

This week we give you two different uses for bread!

Bread and Butter Pudding

  • 4 Slices of thin bread and butter

  • 4 oz (100g) Raisins

  • 2 oz (50g) Sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 pint (600ml) milk

  1. Grease a pie-dish, put in the thinly-sliced bread and butter in layers, with raisins and sugar between each layer.

  2. Beat up the eggs with the milk, pour over the pudding and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

  3. Bake for 1 ½ hours on Gas Mark 2 ,150C or 300F

Summer Pudding

  • 5 oz (150g) Sugar

  • 4 Tblspns (60ml) Water

  • 8 oz (225g) Blackcurrants, washed and stalks removed

  • 8oz (225g) Ripe red plums, washed, halved and stones removed

  • 8oz (225g) Raspberries, washed and hulled

  • 8oz (225g) Strawberries, washed and hulled

  • 8-10 slices of white bread, crusts removed

  1. Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.

  2. Add the blackcurrants and plums, cover and cook gently until tender.

  3. Add the raspberries and strawberries and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

  4. Cut the bread into fingers and line the base and sides of a 1 ¾ pint or 1 litre basin, reserving enough for the lid.

  5. Pour in the stewed fruit and top with the reserved bread.

  6. Cover with a plate or saucer small enough to fit inside the basin. Put a weight on top so that the fruit is firmly pressed down and leave in a cool place for 4-5 hours.

If you wish to freeze it: Remove the weight and plate. Place the basin in a polythene bag or wrap in foil. Seal and freeze.

To serve from frozen: Thaw overnight in a refrigerator. Turn out and serve chilled with double cream.

The Recipe Archive

shazz

24.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A400979

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more