World Headlines 31.07.00

0 Conversations

Historic Handshake Ends 50-year Freeze

North Korea and the US shook hands at foreign ministerial level yesterday in a meeting that could not have been imagined in the past 50 years.

  • How long before North Korea falls?
  • Is the US the only peace broker in the world?

Two Dead in Peru Riots

At least two people died and dozens were injured in pitched street battles between police and protesters in Lima yesterday, as President Alberto Fujimori was sworn in for a third term. Chanting:
'the dictator will fall',

some of the tens of thousands of demonstrators set government buildings ablaze and threw rocks at windows.

  • Why does he want to cling to power like this?
  • What has he done that is so wrong?

Concorde 'downed by burst tyre'

As a silent procession of mourners was winding its way from Gonesse town hall to the Concorde accident site yesterday, investigators said that the catastrophic fire that downed the Air France aircraft on Tuesday appeared to have started outside the engines.

  • Why did they not ground all the planes after the 'cracks in the wings' warning?
  • Is Concorde too old now?

Far-right Link Sought after Bomb Blast

Suspicions grew yesterday that rightwing extremists had planted the bomb which maimed and terrorised travellers outside a Düsseldorf railway station on Thursday.

  • How much longer must we put up with the far right?
  • Is Germany strong enough to resist the 'Glory days' of history?

OB1 Knordic


31.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A405280

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more