Recipes

0 Conversations

This week, those wonderful inventions Pancakes.

Savoury Pancakes

Makes 12

  • 4 oz (100g) Plain Flour

  • Pinch of Salt

  • 1 Egg

  • 1/2 pint (300ml) Milk

  • 1 tblspn (15ml) Butter, melted

  • 1 tblspn (15ml) Oil

  • 2 oz (50g) Mushrooms, washed and chopped

  • 1 oz (25g) Butter

  • 1/2 pint (300ml) White Sauce (see below)

  • 1 tblspn (15ml) chives, chopped

  • 8 oz (200g) Onions, peeled and chopped

  • 1 tblspn (15ml) Dry Sherry (optional)

  • 2 tblspns (30ml) Single Cream

  • Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper

White Sauce

  • 2 oz (50g) Butter

  • 2 oz (50g) Flour

  • 1/2 pint (300ml) Milk

Melt the butter in a saucepan and gradually add the flour, stirring all the time. Cook gently for a few minutes, then remove from the heat. Add the milk slowly, stirring all the time so that the mixture doesn't go lumpy. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. If you want to make this in advance, the addition of an egg after the cooking has finished will slow the setting process.

  1. Sift flour and salt together in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the egg., then gradually beat in the milk. Stir in the melted butter and beat well until smooth.
    Allow the batter to stand in a cool place for about 30 minutes before using.

  2. Lightly brush the base of an 8" (20cm) frying pan with a little of the oil, stand the pan over a medium heat and, when hot, pour in enough batter to coat the base of the pan thinly and evenly. Cook until the underside is golden brown, turn and cook the other side the same.

  3. Repeat the method using the rest of the batter, oiling the pan between each pancake and stacking the cooked pancakes one on top of the other.

  4. Fry the mushrooms and onions gently in the butter until soft.

  5. Heat the white sauce gently in a saucepan

  6. Stir in the drained mushrooms, onions and remaining ingredients and heat without boiling. Season to taste.

  7. Spread pancakes with the filling and fold or roll up.

Crepes Suzette

Makes 12

  • 4oz (100g) Plain Flour

  • Pinch of Salt

  • 2 Eggs

  • 1/2 pint (300ml) Milk

  • 2 tspns (10ml) Corn Oil

  • Oil and butter for frying

Sauce:

  • 4 oz (100g) Butter

  • 4 oz (100g) Caster Sugar

  • Grated Rind of 1 Orange

  • Juice of 2 Oranges

  • Juice of ½ Lemon

  • 2 tblspns (30ml) Brandy

  • 1 tblspn (15ml) Orange Curacao

  1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre, add the eggs, and gradually beat in half the milk.

  2. Mix until smooth, add the rest of the milk and the oil and beat until smooth.

  3. Allow to stand in a cool place for 30 minutes.

  4. Melt a little oil and butter in a 6” (15cm) frying pan or omelette pan and, when hot, pour off any excess fat and pour in about 2 tablespoons (30ml) of batter, swirl round the pan until the base is evenly covered.

  5. Cook until the underside is golden brown, then turn and brown the other side. (You could try your hand at tossing it of course!)

  6. Repeat the process until all the mixture has been used, lightly greasing the pan between each addition and stacking the pancakes one on top of each other.

  7. For the Sauce: Place the butter, sugar, rind and orange and lemon juice in a large frying pan and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.

  8. Increase the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the brandy and curacao.

  9. Fold the pancakes in half, then half again, to form a triangular shape and place in the sauce, spooning it over the pancakes so they are coated.

  10. They may be served straight from the pan but, for added excitement, why not place them in a small frying pan, pour over a little warm brandy, and set them alight!

Of course, you still can’t beat the more traditional way of serving pancakes. Try them with cream cheese and slices of thin ham; tuna fish; grated cheese with fried tomato for a savoury pancake, or freshly squeezed lemon juice and a sprinkling of sugar; golden syrup; marmalade; lemon curd or your favourite jam for the probably more popular sweet variety.

If YOU have a favourite recipe you would like to share with the community, please send it via email to shazzPRME

The Recipe Archive

shazzPRME

31.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A405613

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more