Beddgelert, Snowdonia, Wales Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Beddgelert, Snowdonia, Wales

7 Conversations

There is a legend which says that the Welsh King, Llewellyn the Great, once lost his infant son (in the car keys sense of the word, rather than the more usual euphemism meaning 'dead'). The search for the child had been going on for some time when Llewellyn's dog Gelert arrived with his mouth covered in blood.

Llewellyn jumped to the obvious conclusion and immediately slew the dog. Shortly thereafter the child was found, alive, and next to him the dead body of a wolf, clearly bearing the marks of Gelert's fangs.

Contrite, Llewellyn erected a monument to his faithful hound. And the village nearby has become known as Beddgelert, which in Welsh means 'grave of Gelert'.

Now, there are worse things for a town than being named after a dead dog. Probably. Thankfully, a benign Providence has made up for this unfortunate occurrence by endowing the village with more charm than seems reasonable for such a quiet place.

Situated on the river Glaslyn which flows down from the mountains of Snowdonia, Beddgelert nestles at the foot of Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon) and boasts picturesque stone cottages, warm and welcoming pubs, and some of the best walks in the United Kingdom.

It is strongly recommended that you do not try to get there by bicycle. Flat is not a term often used to describe the roads in Wales. In fact, Snowdonia has some of the most unashamedly un-flat roads to be found anywhere in the UK. So be warned.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A413632

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more