Our Man in Milliways - The Lobster Pot, Anglesey

0 Conversations

Man looking a bit unwell<br/>
<br/>
after eating noodles

The Lobster Pot, Church Bay, Anglesey

Those of you who read my journal will know that due to circumstances beyond my control, my Milliways columns might have to be put on a backburner due to a lack of funding1. So, people of h2g2, it's up to you to eat, drink and be critical! Hop to it!

Anyway, on with the column. Bearing in mind that I now have no income, a dwindling savings account and a moth-eaten wallet, you're probably expecting a review of the local greasy spoon. You'd be wrong, as L and I ventured to the last place you'd expect to find the unemployed – a lobster restaurant.

Food

If there's one word that describes The Lobster Pot's food, it's fresh. While we passed up on having a look at the lobsters and crabs in their holding tanks, I never for a second doubted that we were getting the freshest food available. To start, L stuck to what she knew with the Spicy Crab Cakes (£5.95) while I tried something new and opted for half a Grilled Lobster with garlic butter and parmesan (£11.55). The lobster was perfect. Well cooked, amazingly fresh and tasty enough to not be overpowered by the garlic and cheese. L's crab cakes were just as nice, accompanied by the nicest sweet chilli sauce I've ever tried.

At The Lobster Pot, the seafood is very much the star of the show – so much so that I can't remember much about what accompanies the main courses. That's not a slight, but a compliment, as I'm a big seafood lover and my main has to be up there with the best meals I've ever eaten. L, not a seafood fan, enjoyed her King Scampi in homemade batter (£14.95) – but nowhere near as much as I loved my Grilled King Scallops (£16.95). Each rasher of bacon contained two fat, juicy scallops which worked well with the salty meat and white wine sauce – and with three of these tasty parcels to tuck in to, quality was very much matched by quantity.

For dessert, we both tried the Bara Brith Bread and Butter Pudding (£4.65). I love bread and butter pudding, so I highly recommend it. L doesn't like Bara Brith, so she doesn't.

Atmosphere

The atmosphere at The Lobster Pot was great. There were free cockles on the bar while we waited to be seated, an option to check out your crustacean course before they boil it alive and a lounge to retire to with a whisky and coffee afterwards. What's more, you get a lovely view of the village and the beach from the windows of the dining room. I'd have liked a wander down to the sea afterwards, but a combination of pitch darkness and a long and winding road home2 curtailed that plan.

Service

The service was fantastic. Welcoming, prompt and attentive – everything needed to get full marks on my 'service scale'. They even gave us hedge-free directions back to Benellech. Which was nice.

Overall

The Lobster Pot comes highly recommended. There are only two things stopping me awarding my first ever 10 out of 10. Firstly – I'd have to go and give The Victoria an equal mark as it's without a doubt my favourite restaurant3, and secondly – at well over £70 all included, the price is incredibly prohibitive. It is, however, worth every single penny. 8.5/10

10: Lobster Thermidor, 9/8: Fruits de Mer, 7/6: Sea Bass, 5/4: Fishfinger Sandwiches, 3/2: Tinned Pilchards, 1: McFillet'o'Fish

This column is open to contributions from all members of

the h2g2 community. All submissions are accepted on the basis that

they are honest and unbiased, and all opinions expressed are those of

the reviewers, who may not be professional restaurant critics. Send

your reviews to the usual submissions address.

Our Man in Milliways

Archive

Psycorp

09.10.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Those of you that read my journal will also just have noticed that I've taken my sweet time writing this one…2Someone drove into a hedge on the way to the restaurant, and it was daylight then…3The seared calves liver on the summer menu is exquisite

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A41668130

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more