Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World

2 Conversations

The Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World logo

A quirky look at wildlife. To be taken with a pinch of

salt, but with more than a grain of truth!

A Deer Little Thing?

Those of us lucky enough to watch BBC2's stunning series 'Autumnwatch' might have been waiting with bated breath to see a little known, quite small mammal, originally from China. In the heart of Birmingham, UK no less, and next to the airport. At the time of writing the animal has been highly elusive, obviously not the least impressed by a visit from wildlife expert Simon King!

It is of course the Chinese Muntjac deer, Muntiacus reevesi.

I was curious to know how our smallest deer came to have such an English sounding name. Apparently having been found in south east Asia, it was named in 1812 after John Reeves, an Inspector with the East India Tea Company, so perhaps it was always destined to become a British resident!

It is understood that they were taken to London Zoo in about 1840, later being distributed in the grounds of Woburn Abbey by the Duke of Bedford. From there it is believed there were escapees, the forerunners of the current generation. There were also some deliberate releases. I have seen estimates of a current population of 40,000 in the UK, but recent reports suggest that this may be well below the true figure. They tend to be shy, and are often heard, rather than seen. They forage day and night, but are more likely to come out in the open at dusk or dawn.

I have yet to see one, though a reliable source tells me one has been drinking at dusk in the ford close to my house, and it has been spotted more than once in the nearby country park—not the one Simon was lurking in!

I did hear its very distinctive bark, very early one morning, when I was out feeding the birds in my garden, so there is a possibility one could turn up here. It is only a small animal about the size of a medium dog, and as foxes and badgers have found us, why not a Muntjac deer?

Several birds and animals on my Wish List have turned up, so it has been suggested that I should be careful what I wish for in this case. Why? Because they have a liking for vegetation, garden flowers and so on, which is not exactly desirable if you have a garden full of shrubs and flowers which are your pride and joy.

However, as many people know, my garden has been given over entirely to wildlife for a long time now, so I am thinking that a Muntjac deer might be an interesting addition so long as it stays in my garden and does not trespass on the neighbouring properties.

There are conflicting reports—that Muntjac are mainly seen in the South of England, or that that they are mainly in the Midlands. However, it seems the animal has bred somewhat prolifically and can now be found almost anywhere where there is woodland or other suitable habitat. They use the motorways, railways and rivers as corridors along which to travel, and are often found close by, which is probably why my area is being colonised.

Their comparatively rapid spread is largely down to their ability to breed all year round, unlike other deer. They are often found in 'pairs'—either buck and doe, or doe and fawn. Sadly, like many of our mammals they are often killed on roads, and the fawns are prey to foxes, dogs and cats.

While they do some damage to woodland, stripping bark from trees, they are less destructive than some other species of deer. They will eat any vegetation within reach, hence their unpopularity in well maintained gardens. There is also concern that they like bluebells, which could be a problem here, where we have some beautiful bluebell woodland. I doubt whether they would distinguish between the English bluebell and the renegade Spanish bluebell, which is a pity. Destroying the latter would perhaps be a blessing as it could be driving our native species to extinction. Primroses could be at risk from their voracious appetite too.

My hopes of seeing one have been heightened by learning that not only do they eat fruit and nuts, but food from bird tables, and one of mine is low enough for a fox to feed. Since I truly did not believe I would ever have badgers in my garden, I am ruling nothing out, especially as I have a garden full of bluebells in spring.

My first impression of them was that they were funny looking animals, with their rear end hunched higher than their heads, and faces that did not look entirely friendly. Perhaps the long upper canine tusk-like teeth sticking out of either side of their mouths had something to do with it. Closer examination shows that they have much the same appealing characteristics as other deer, especially the fawns. They are up and running in just a few days, and have spotted coats for their first couple of months, during which time they feed on their mother's milk and grass. One fawn is born each time, but the doe can conceive again within days hence their rapid increase.

The adults are rusty brown in the summer but a much duller grey brown in winter. The bucks have short antlers pointing backwards, which fall off in early summer, but are full grown again by autumn. The does just have tufts of hair instead. A frontal view shows a black V shaped marking which is very distinctive. They also have noticeable scent glands under their eyes which can make them look as if they have had a bad night on the tiles. More glands on the feet are used to cover bare trees with their scent.

Their rear view shows a brilliant white upright tail when disturbed, the hair stands on end, and in addition to the hoarse bark, it may scream in alarm. They have relatively small territories and do not stray far provided there is sufficient food. Having such varied tastes is clearly another reason why they have survived so well, as have many other introduced species.

It is strange how animals adjust to human habitation and the very unnatural noises we produce, from aeroplanes, trains, cars, and even fireworks, yet they jump and run at our more natural sounds— our footsteps and voices, for example. Clearly we are perceived as a threat where the other sounds are not. That is a pity, since they would do well to steer clear of unnatural noises, staying alive in the process. With luck and a fair wind Muntjac deer can live as many as fifteen years.

Of course, I might well see one of these elusive characters when out walking, but what is the betting that I won't have my camera ready? Oh well; if Simon King can miss out, I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Websailor's Wacky Wildlife

World Archive

Websailor

06.11.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A43060312

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more