More 42-Word Stories, by Tibley Bobley

1 Conversation

The 42-Word Story icon

Tibley Bobley sent us so many fantastic stories for the 42-Word Story competition, we decided she should be allowed her own collection. For your pleasure, then, these are the rest of her 42-Word Stories.


Accident

He suddenly cut across in front of me, from behind the truck. A kid on a moped. Didn't see him until too late. I was barely moving, but he zipped out so fast, the impact was terrible. God! Look how he's twisted.


Earthquake

A tremor woke me. Beside me, a glass of water trembled in the feeble, pre-dawn light. Low rumbling, shook the bed - persisting - increasing my alarm. Falling plaster gave fair warning. I fled before the ceiling fell. Outside the city crumbled.


Liquid Bomb

That smell! What? Ammonia. Up here? At 13,000 feet? Across the aisle, a man looks round furtively, pouring powder into a bottle. His face illuminated by mad rapture. How curious that, as chaos erupts, and we plummet, the smell of ammonia persists.


Gi's a Kidney

Life hurts. Death is worse. Vacancy for a working kidney. Tissue type match essential. Will pay anything. Do anything, to live. Beg, buy or steal. Any donor: volunteer preferred but victim seriously considered. Please, just hurry. Time is short. I'm sinking fast.


Supply of Organs

Another one for you Doctor. Found him in a back alley. Looks a poor specimen. They must've been desperate. One kidney, rudely removed. He'll be too weak to work. It would've been kinder to take every organ. It's just short of murder.


Vicious

The gang chased him. Alfie fell, breaking his leg. They mocked, kicked, spat. Now blind, deaf, bleeding, terrified, he cowers, awaiting the next blow. Knowing it must come. But the gang has left. Cruel, pleased with themselves, laughing. Unseen, unheard by Alfie.


Invaders

How dare they fight back. Don't they know that we're more important, feel more, know more than them? They are nothing. They should give in, move aside, grovel, die. The future belongs to us. We will take it. They cannot stop us.


Fussy Eater

At the next stall was an English woman, doubled over, vomiting. The locals looked disgusted. How rude. What a waste. It's The Entomophagy Festival. There's a cockroach eating contest about to start. She might have guessed what was in the little cakes.


Bloody Computers

A VDU plummets from a high window, hitting the shoulder of one atom of the passing mass of human traffic surging through the canyon of tall buildings. The flow stops, backing up in both directions. From above, an angry voice. Everyone understands.


Domestic Trouble

She's soft-hearted. Adopted several. Her own children weren't consulted. Love can't be forced. The lads fell out. Now three are dead, home wrecked - mother broken-hearted, hating her own, guilty about what happened to those she took in. Why did it happen?


Nosferatu News

Nobody is beyond redemption. In the age of equal opportunities, everyone gets their chance. BBC News readers no longer have to look attractive. Today the reader is an elderly male with pointed teeth and ears. He reports a shortage of donor blood.


Destructor

Medics picked up the pieces. Police looked for clues. Only the bomber knew the reasons - and he was nearly dead. 'Chaos...' he groaned. 'What about it?' they asked. 'No order - no life. No life - no suffering.' Is he mad?


Lothario

His obsession with 'fixing' virgins, bordered on personality disorder, until, one night, his shenanigans came to the attention of a pantomime ugly sister. Seeing him work on sweet Cinderella, Mr Sister invited him outside. Fixed him! Now he just looks, and drools.


Alien Abduction

The subject begged for mercy. The answer came telepathically. 'You are a keen advocate of vivisection, in the pursuit of knowledge and cures. We know this. We need to vivisect you. Surely you cannot object to helping a higher life-form.' He did!


Rebel

No! I will not obey. Breeder. Parent. Creator. How dared you inflict this loathsome existence upon me? You will punish me? YOU should be punished! The author of all this suffering. It's an outrage. You made this hell. You lie in it!


Before the Crash

Time for an emergency pull-out, my fellow ticks. True banking is dead. The dog we feed on is too weak from loss of blood to continue digging its hole. We are bloated fit to burst. Quickly now - before it's too late.


Fell Run

Weather turned. Driving rain. Sudden dark. Attempting to climb down the wet slope, Harry slipped - twisted his knee. Lost the tent - taken by the rising flood. Hours later, rescuers plucked him from a partly submerged tree, cold, hungry, in pain.


Sin

Beguiled by a slippery spiv, she offered her bloke an apple. He accepted. It was forbidden. Receiving stolen goods. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. The landlord slung them out. After that, life wasn't so easy, but it was more interesting.


Spuds

My concentration shattered by a sudden hullabaloo from my partner's office, I abandoned work to investigate. As I opened the door, a man flew out backwards, cursing. Why? A violent disagreement over the best potato for chipping: Maris Piper or King Edwards.


Hiding

Mid-summer; early afternoon, ebb tide Bathers swim, jostle lilos, throwing beach-balls. Annie hides behind a crowd of bigger kids from the eyes of her frantic mother. An under current drags her feet. Small child hiding. The sea obliges. Nobody notices. She's gone.

Fiction by Tibley Bobley

Tibley Bobley

06.11.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A43085900

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more