Kurt Vonnegut, Jr

2 Conversations

Kurt Vonnegut is one of the major sixties era american writers. His style is unique and most of all incredibly truthful.


Born in Indianpolis in the 1920's, Kurt Vonnegut served as in the army during World War 2. He was taken prisoner in the german town of Dresden until it was completely destroyed by fire bombs. These events served as a heavy influence for his writing. Before he became famous he worked as a press department for General Electric. During this time Vonnegut would write short stories for various magazines. The type of writing he favors most is Science Fiction. He latter became a full fledged writer. He is best known for two novels, Cat's Cradle, and Slaughterhouse Five.


The Following are brief facts about him and his work.

Vonnegut never gave up thinking of ideas for short stories, whenever he thinks of something he puts them in one of his books as the idea of his alter ego, Kilgore Trout.

Kilgore Trout is a frequently appearing character in Vonnegut's books. As stated before, Kilgore trout is his alter ego.

This is a list of some of his published works:

Between Time and Timbuktu (1975; TV manuscript based on Vonnegut Novels, Pictures by Jill Krementz)
Bluebeard (1987)
Breakfast of Champions; or Goodbye Blue Monday (1973)
Canary in a Cathouse (1961; collection of short stories)
Cat's Cradle (1963)
Deadeye Dick (1982)
Fates Worse Than Death (1991)
Galapagos (1985)
God Bless You, Mr Rosewater; or Pearls Before Swine (1965)
Happy Birthday Wanda June (1971)
Hocus Pocus (1990)
Jailbird (1979)
Mother Night (1962)
Nothing is Lost Save Honor (1984)
Palm Sunday (1981; an autobiographical collage)
Player Piano (Utopia 14) (1952)
The Sirens of Titan (1959)
Slapstick; or Lonesome No More! (1976)
Slaughterhouse-Five; or Children's Crusade, a Duty Dance with Death (1969)
Sun, Moon, Star (1980; with Ivan Chermayeff)
Timequake (1997)
Wampeters, Foma & Granfaloons (1974)
Welcome to the Monkey House (1968; collection of short stories







Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A460865

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more