Alpine, Texas Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Alpine, Texas

2 Conversations

South-west Texas is the place you'll have to look to find the town of Alpine. A good way to locate this little town is to look north of Big Bend National Park and south of Fort Stockton. The park itself lies in Brewster County for which Alpine is the mother city and gateway. It is an area that could easily hold two Rhode Islands and still have enough space for a couple of golf courses - it's not hard to find. Nestled south-east of El Paso, nearly three and-a-half hours away, Alpine is bordered by the southernmost part of the Rocky Mountains on its west side, Davis Mountains to the north, and the Chisos mountains out of Mexico to the south. A valley paradise in the middle of the Chihuahuan Desert.

History

Alpine was originally known as Murphyville when the first settlement was established in around 1882. Development was triggered by the railroad stopping in the area now known as Alpine for its abundant supply of fresh water which was vital for the operations of the steam locomotives of the time. Saloons, boarding houses and restaurants began to appear on both sides of the tracks. In 1887 the Texas Legislature approved the creation of Brewster County with Murphyville as the county seat. In 1888 Murphyville's general election voted to change the name of Murphyville to Alpine. Ranching was, until the 1990s, the primary economic enterprise in the area.

Alpine largely consists of a Mexican-American and Anglo culture base. With the railroad dividing the two entities in the past 15 years, however, social and cultural boundaries have weakened, with efforts on both sides to mend 100 years of segregation. The cry to be a community in recent times has outweighed cultural bigotry.

Education

Alpine plays host to Sul Ross State University of the Texas State University System, adding an additional 2,000+ population to the more permanent 4-5,500 population. Sul Ross itself is a four-year school with a president people refer to as Uncle Vic. The faculty is truly unique coming from reputable schools such as Rutgers or the University of Arizona. Students range from the laid back anti-socialite of the computer realm to the rednecks of the Range Animal Science: therefore some prefer silicon and some prefer pig dung.

Business

Alpine is home to many fine establishments of business such as Sayre Lanes, a four-lane bowling alley where a gutter ball will get you a strike every time. Rangra Theatres provide a particular treat for the inhabitants of this West Texas town: two screens playing six nights of the week for $4 a show - and for $8 a person can see both showings on '79-era screens and equipment.

If you like home cooking-type eating then Alpine would be your dream location. Alicia's Burger Place has some of the finest burritos in the state of Texas. Good Mexican food can be found at LaCasita Mexican Restaurant, home of $4 campenchanas. Longhorn Steakhouse offers the best beef in town, whereas Outback Grill offers the next and only true option for steaklovers. The 6th Street Bakery can be found exactly where its name implies. From homemade enchiladas to deli sandwiches to fresh baked bread, this establishment is often filled with college students and Alpine residents alike playing chess, conversing, or pondering on Life, the Universe and Everything. Penny's Diner or the Town and Country fill the needs of the late night community, so, if hitchhiking in the dead of night, you can stop at one of these well-lit establishments and get a PepperJack burger (Penny's) or some popcorn chicken bites and a coke (Town and Country).

Warning!

It is to be noted that there is danger in this town: many people complain of complacency and happiness. Others show their feelings of being trapped by drinking sangria at the Railroad Blues (a world-famous tourist trap) or one of the other bars (Crystal, PressBox, Chaparral).

The nearest Wal-Mart is one hour away and the nearest shopping centre three hours away. So if you are used to hitchhiking, this place might seem a bit in the middle of nowhere.

Location and Geographic Information

Alpine is located in West Texas approx 120 miles north of Big Bend National Park. It is at Latitude 30.35 and Longitude -103.66 and sits at 4500 feet above sea level.

If travelling along I-10 in Texas coming in from the west (El Paso) you will want to go south on HWY 90 in Van Horn Texas. If coming from the east the best choice is taking HWY 67 (South) eight miles west of Fort Stockton, then, upon reachng HWY 90, take a right and you are eight miles from Alpine. Highways 90 and 118 intersect in downtown Alpine. 118 heads north and south whereas 90 leads east and west.

Fort Davis, approximately 26 miles north of Alpine, has an elevation of around 5020 ft above sea-level; however their population fluctuates around the 1050 area. Fort Davis also plays home to the McDonald Observatory and the Fort Davis fort where the famous Buffalo Soldiers were once stationed.

Next town in any direction is a minimum 24 miles away so be prepared.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A4609965

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more