Middleburg, Florida

3 Conversations

A sleepy town located about 45 minutes south of Jacksonville, Florida. In recent years has seen tremoundous growth in spite of factors out of line with normal growth conditions. These factors should have inhibited the entire growth of the Clay County where Middleburg is located yet seems to have had the opposite effect.

The town itself up to recent years was inhabited mostly by the naval airmen and their familys. This all changed when Cecil Naval Air Field was closed and the families were all shipped to different locations. One would think the population would shrink. One would be wrong.

The overwhelming amount of houses and property for sale has brought families from all over the country to raise their children in a rural "small town" enviroment. Even when the houses were all taken up they just kept coming. Prior woodlands were clear cut and housing developments were put into place. Thousands of people in only a few square miles where once only a few hundred called home.

Roads where widened and businesses where built at the "heart" of Middleburg which could before only be determined by one grocery store and a strip mall holding Ace Hardware. Tire shops even a few eateries where included. Making it actually look as if this was a town. The ones coming from the city thought this was great. Others thought that it was getting to crowded. Either way it was done and the only difference was a little more traffic.

Until the next school year, it seems only a select few thought of where these children where going to actually go to school. Even the local high school built for 800 had to deal with a unprecidented 1800 students. Not so effected where the elementary schools. These had been in the plans for years and crews worked hard to get them built. Clay County school system was now the fastest growing system in the country.

For its size Middleburg really has absolutly no visit value. It does hold Jennings State Forest. This of course is literally nothing but a forest with a few dirt roads.

Nothing is grown in Middleburg and the bulk of the population can only be classified as "Middleburgians". Moonshine which dispite the city influance is still the only export. There is a Pool hall in the same strip mall as the hardware store and a Wings, Oysters & Bar which is devoted to serving the local liquor inhabitied by Middleburgians every Friday and Saturday night.

If you actually happen to travel to Middleburg avoid the section of Blanding Blvd(Main road traveling through Middleburg) adjacent to the Baptist church across from the oyster bar. Traffic is stopped while the church is let out.

Most of the town attends this church.


You could be waiting a while.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4619676

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more