New Internet Charges for UK

1 Conversation

British Telecom recently announced that they are planning a new range of tariffs for connection to the internet. These will range from a pay as you go 1 penny a minute tariff to a fixed charge of £35 per month for unlimited access. These tariffs are set to be introduced sometime between the New Year and Spring, depending on approval from Oftel, the government telecommunications watchdog.

Also set to launch early in the year is a service from 0800freedom, formally known as freedomi, an Internet Service Provider offering unlimited free internet access through a free phone number.

As a comparison American citizens pay around £15 per month for
unlimited access whereas in New Zealand residents can expect to pay about £10. The Australian population are, however, still paying a high price for connection.

Telewest Cable are soon to launch their Digital Service in the UK and will be offering their customers continuous access to the
internet at 20 times the speed of a normal Modem. They have not
announced their prices as yet, but hope to have it on line by the
end of the first quarter of 2000. They are offering free access to
the web, including an email address: [email protected] and
web space. If Telewest are offering this service, you can bet
that the others will not be far behind.


Vegiman


20.12.99. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A472213

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more