Spontaneous Human Combustion

1 Conversation

A paranormal event whereby an individual is supposedly consumed by a fire of unknown or unusual origin such as ball lightening or ignition of bodily gases. In cases of alleged Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC), the body is usually burned beyond recognition whilst the immediate vicinity is left virtually unscathed.

Investigations into the phenomena of SHC established the principles of the 'wick' effect, proposing that those who allegedly fell victim had in fact died of natural causes and thereafter come into contact with an external heat source (e.g. electric heating element, dropped cigarette) causing their clothes to ignite . In this manner, the body's fat acts as the wax and the surrounding clothes as an external wick.

Experiments based on this theory have proved conclusively that enough heat is generated in this manner so as to wholly devastate the body but creates few flames with which to cause a conflagration beyond that locale. This is now the accepted belief and SHC as a paranormal event has been largely dismissed.

This conclusion however, should not prevent one from keeping the term alive especially by way of invective. 'I hope you spontaneously combust you #$@* !' Still remains an effective insult and the ensuing mental picture of the hated individual bursting into flames and screaming like all the beasts of hell is certainly worth preserving.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A47828

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more