UK Guiding - Girl Guides Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

UK Guiding - Girl Guides

6 Conversations

UK Guiding
Rainbow Guides | Brownie Guides | Girl Guides | The Senior Sections | The Adult Sections | BGIFC (British Guides in Foreign Countries) | * (Lord Baden-Powell's Role in The Girl Guide Movement (UK) * | * Uniform Through the Years *

The Girl Guides are open to all girls aged ten to 14. Each unit or company is made up of patrols of four to eight girls, who choose their own Patrol Leader. Each patrol chooses its own name; starfish, panda and dolphin are among some of the choices.

Uniform

The Guide's uniform was completely redesigned in 2002, to make it more fashionable! More or less anything goes on the bottom half, for the top half there is a choice of; T-shirt, gilet, rugby shirt and sweatshirt, which are mid blue and dark blue, with red detail and a Guides logo label. Badges are worn on the gilet.

Badges

Guides can work on Go For Its within their Patrol time, and also work towards there Challenge badges. There are also more than 40 Interest badges, which can be worked towards individually, as a patrol or as a unit.

Community service plays a large part in Guiding. This could be a large fundraiser with other local units or Brownies, or as an individual, by helping at a Brownie or Rainbow meeting.

The Guide Promise badge is a blue trefoil.

The Promise, the Laws and the Motto

The Guide Promise is:

I promise that I will do my best, to love my God, to serve the Queen and my country, to help other people and to keep the Guide Law.

The Guide Laws are:

A Guide is honest, reliable and can be trusted.
A Guide is helpful and uses her time and abilities wisely.
A Guide faces challenges and learns from her experiences.
A Guide is a good friend and a sister to all Guides.
A Guide is polite and considerate.
A Guide respects all living things and takes care of the world around her.

The Guide Motto is:

Be prepared.

Events

Outdoor activities are very popular. Many of the Guide and Scout training centres allow the girls to take part in specialist activities such as water sports or abseiling.

The most popular outdoor activity is the annual holiday or camp. This can be based around an activity holiday at a centre, an international camp or a visit to one of the WAGGGS centres. Sometimes, though, it may be more basic, with just a couple of patrols roughing it for a week or two.

More Information

At 14 though, the challenges increase as the young woman moves into the Senior Sections.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A499250

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more

Most Recent Entries