FrontPage Archive - June 2009

0 Conversations

[Prev]part of an unofficial archive of h2g2 front pages[Next]

1 June 2009

Hands retrieving a football from a net.Injuries From Casual Football - There are a wide variety of ways to receive a painful injury in The Beautiful Game.

Bernd das Brot, German Icon - This sarcastic loaf of bread informs his viewers that life is hell and that his programme is rubbish.


® Richard Wagner, Composer - He was ugly and opinionated and he dominated the music of the late 19th Century.

QOTD: Used to work with a guy whose surname was Mistry (Gujarati equivalent of 'smith' I think, or 'maker' anyway) who was most put out that his wife would not allow them to name their first child 'Chris'.

2 June 2009

Neville Chamberlain in 1937.The Munich Agreement - Hitler had no intention of honouring the Munich Agreement or his treaty with Chamberlain.


® The Merchant Adventurer's Guild Hall, York - The Merchant Adventurers were the richest and most powerful guild in York.


® The Squirrel Proposition Refuted - Neat Entry this, combining both nature photography and philosophy.

QOTD: Is Photoshop destroying reality?

3 June 2009

A London cabman's shelter.London Cabbies' Shelters - Introduced in around 1875, these were a major improvement to the cabbies' working lives.


® Great Fairs and Theme Parks of Europe - For the squeamish, even the tamest of fairground rides can set the heart racing.


® Pharaoh Hatshepsup - Regarded as Egypt's greatest female pharaoh, she reigned for over 20 years, from 1479 - 1458 BC.

QOTD: Heaven: a world with plenty of cheese. … Hell: a world without cheese. … God: the bringer of cheese.

4 June 2009

A man in a red bow tie holding a saddle addressing a horse: 'Your saddle, sir.'Tacking Up: How to Prepare a Horse - Or to give its full title, A Basic Guide to Preparing a Horse for Riding 'English Style'.

Amoebas - To most people, amoebas are the blobby bacteria that cause dysentery. However, they're vastly more complex than that.


® Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece - The town is situated on the east coast, facing Albania and mainland Greece across the Ionian Sea.

QOTD: Why is the weather forecast so rubbish?

5 June 2009

A mobility scooter.Choosing the Best Mobility Scooter for You - There are many types of battery-powered vehicles for those who have difficulty walking.

Ectopic Pregnancy - This occurs when a fertilised ovum implants somewhere other than the uterus.


® Birdwatching in The Gambia - You're almost certain to see a few very beautiful birds in this country, whether you're looking for them or not!

QOTD: Deep fried batter coated mobile!! Sounds tasty to me!!

8 June 2009

Honey bees in a wooden bee hive.To Bee-keep or Not to Bee-keep? - Bee populations are crashing and no-one is entirely sure why. Might you be tempted to keep bees?

Pablo Picasso - This 20th Century artist invented Cubism and was famous throughout the world for his paintings and anti-war message.


® Food and the Colour Blue - Although some have an aversion to food that's blue, this Entry takes a kindly look at edibles with a blue tinge.

QOTD: I've got a special tool for removing them and every now and then I still get one that needs the old 'tea towel and sturdy door' trick!

9 June 2009

Some blue hoardings.Blue Hoardings - These ten-feet-high blue-painted plywood barriers surround mysterious enclaves of demolition and reconstruction.


® The Parts of an Acoustic Guitar - A fine Entry which illustrates the structure of the most basic and common guitar.


® Mexico City - This home of beautiful artefacts, shows and archaeological sites is a well-preserved centre of culture.

QOTD: I'm foreigner. you all have weird accents

10 June 2009

Colin Baker as Doctor Who and his assistant played by the ebullient Bonnie Langford.Doctor Who and Errors of Continuity - It's one of the longest-running TV series in history so there's bound to have been a few glitches.

Dere Street: From York to Melrose in Seven Days - Dere Street was a major supply route along the eastern section of Hadrian's Wall.


® Howard Goodall, Composer and Musician - Howard Goodall is a name you will have seen many times, but probably without noticing it.

QOTD: Has anyone out there in hootoo-land successfully changed their accent? Or do any of you accentuate your regional accent under certain circumstances?

11 June 2009

A piggy bank.The Bank of Mum and Dad - Millions of parents have been pushed into debt because they have continued to fund their adult children.

The Rainham Train Crash - This tragic event took place in the summer of 1944 and so hardly made the newspapers.


® Nothing - A word that has many meanings, and can be a noun, a pronoun, an adjective or an adverb.

QOTD: I want to make a new motto but my latin isn't good enough.

12 June 2009

A shield depicting atomic symbols.Mood Disorders - Emotions can dominate a person's life.
Sleep Disorders - Proper sleep is essential.
Personality Disorders - Describing pathological abnormalities.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health - Different problems for children.
Eating Disorders - Self-imposed starvation and overeating.
Psychotic Disorders - Psychoses are often poorly understood.
Stress and Bereavement - Reactions to 'life events'.
Somatoform Disorders - Symptoms but with no medical explanation.
Alcohol and Substance Misuse - Drink and drugs and mental health.
Obstetric Mental Health - Relating to pregnancy and childbirth.

QOTD: I mean, I'm sure he's a jolly nice chap and all that, but I don't want to see any more exposed flesh than is strictly necessary.

15 June 2009

Some Seville oranges...or should that be noranges?The Strange Case of the Missing N - Many words in the English language have changed their spellings over the centuries.


® West Country Skittles - Modernisation is rare in this game and the shape of the skittle changes as you cross from Somerset to Devon.


® Obstacles to Manned Space Exploration - An awful lot of energy is required to get a space shuttle into orbit.

QOTD: What would the Earth look like inside out?

16 June 2009

Some screws.The Screwfix Catalogue - Every quarter the Screwfix catalogue lands on the doormat to the delight of menfolk up and down the land.

Alice B Toklas and Gertrude Stein - Commisioned to write a cookbook, Toklas included a whole lot more.


® Kate Bush: Singer/Songwriter - 'Wuthering Heights' appeared in the charts and immediately announced the arrival of a dazzling talent.

QOTD: I was inspired to look in the fridge but the closest thing I found was some suspicious-looking sardines. They're not usually furry, are they, sardines?

17 June 2009

A lady answering the telephone.How to Answer the Telephone in the UK - Almost every house and office will have a landline or mobile and, at some point, it will ring.


® Irish Neolithic Tombs - There are the remains of more than 1,300 of these ancient tombs throughout the Emerald Isle.


® Ska - This infectious music was originally produced in Jamaica in the early 1960s by artists such as Prince Buster and Rosco Gordon.

QOTD: I love the buildup to thunderstorms, it's like waiting for the sky to sneeze

18 June 2009

Actors Neil Morrissey and Rachel Weisz watching football on the TV in a comedy romance called 'My Summer With Des'.Football Widows - Long before 'WaGs' there was a whole different breed of wives and girlfriends associated with the game.

Little Richard - A genuine rock 'n' roll legend who laid down the blueprint for a whole new genre of music.


® Stonechats - Saxicola torquatus is a tough little insectivore, one of the few insect-eating birds that is resident in the UK year-round.

QOTD: We r on r way. Cld u get some cabbages and if so cd u bring 6?

19 June 2009

A scientist looks at a petri dish.How to Write a Scientific Paper - It's no good carrying out ground-breaking research if you can't present your findings effectively.


® The Bus That Uncovered a Norwich Chalk Mine - In 1988 a bus fell into a hole in an East Anglian road and made an amazing discovery.


® Egyptian Mummies - The ancient Egyptians believed the spirits of the dead were tied to their Earthly bodies and could not exist separately.

QOTD: is it possible to sleep during tattooing????

22 June 2009

An area affected by Bill Posters.Bill Posters Will Be Prosecuted - Gullible individuals may wonder why anyone would want to attach grown men to a shop window...


® Astral Projection - This non-scientific theory attempts to explain the perceived effects of meditation and 'out-of-body experiences'.


® The Charing Cross, London - Eleanor of Castile's body rested here for the final time, on its last journey from Lincoln to London in 1290.

QOTD: Almost all Irish people under 30 now speak with the same accent most of the time: Friends English. TV is the death of regional accents.

23 June 2009

Brian Clough OBE, also known as 'Old Big 'Ead.'Having a Big Head - We seem programmed to love the proportionately big heads of babies and comic aliens but it changes when we grow up.

'Strange Fruit': The Billie Holiday Song - A song about the torment and abuse which pervaded the lives of African-Americans in the US.


® Conceptual Tables - Purely conceptual tables are used in so many practical and educational ways that it boggles the imagination.

QOTD: things aren't that bad really … as long as you don't read newspapers

24 June 2009

Sean Connery as Alexander the Great.Alexander: The Tireless Conqueror - As perhaps was the case with Alexander, can an excess of energy lead to no good?

The Last Act of Cannibalism in Fiji - This claimed the lives of English missionary, the Reverend Thomas Baker, and his accompanying party.


® Tai Chi Chuan - Many people have seen Tai Chi, the slow, rhythmic Chinese exercise; but what actually is it?

QOTD: I'm going to have a lay down in a cool dark and quiet room now.

25 June 2009

A red rose.The Colour Red - A signifier of danger, and a bold, striking colour to wear when you want to be noticed.


® How to Make a Basic Tassel - A bunch of yarn with one purpose: to make everyday objects look prettier.


® Memetics - This theory postulates that ideas behave in the collective consciousness of mankind in a similar way to genes in the gene pool.

QOTD: Please put the brownie points in my brownie point bank account.

26 June 2009

Land Access sign on the Staffordshire Moorlands.Staffordshire, England, UK - The county is a well-kept secret; a mix of unspoilt countryside and small industrial towns.


® Neptune - A gas giant like Uranus, Saturn and Jupiter, Neptune is the eighth planet from the Sun, and very similar to Uranus.


® Drop the Dead Donkey, the TV Series - An award-winning office comedy and considered one of the great comedy series of the 1990s.

QOTD: He's as useful as a chocolate teapot

29 June 2009

A red AIDS ribbon.AIDS HIV: Visible Features - The immune suppression that HIV causes can lead to conditions that make the infection externally visible.

Chalkida, Evia, Greece - This ancient city has been connected by a bridge to the Greek mainland since 411 BC.


® Early Electronic Computers - Fascinating look at Colossus, the first programmable electronic computer and LEO, the first office computer.

QOTD: Last time I kicked this laptop I lost EVERYTHING …

30 June 2009

Frank Ifield.Yodelling: The Other Vocal Technique - Though often associated with singing cowboys, yodelling is a feature of many musical styles.


® Isle Of Wight Shipwrecks: The Hundred Years War - One of a series of fascinating Entries that looks at history buried beneath the waves.


® Harrogate, North Yorkshire - William Slingsby turned Harrogate from a small hamlet into a thriving tourist and business attraction.

QOTD: I live in a country with a zillion sheep and wool socks here are really expensive. What's that about?

[Prev][Index][Next]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A52415318

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more