Florida Keys

0 Conversations

The Florida Keys are a chain of islands at the southern tip of the state. No one's quite sure how long they've been there. No faultline exists in that area, so the Keys aren't running away from home. No volcanic activity, so no new islands poking out of the boiling sea. The core of each Key is coral rock -- the skeleton of what was once a living coral reef. Mangrove trees, amphibious creatures that like brackish water, grow on many coastlines, increasing the girth of their Key as they control erosion.

The sea between the Keys is very shallow. During low tides you can walk out for miles, and still find some beautiful seashells. In olden days, Spanish treasure galleons were always running aground here, not surprising given their map accuracy.

For many years, the Keys were only accessible by boat or seaplane. This is when the Keys' very diverse and carefree lifestyle began. People made their homes on boats or in simple houses, living off the sea. The Overseas railroad, directly connecting Key West to the mainland (with several keys in between) was completed in 1912. Until then, a combined system of rail, land bridge, and boat connected the keys. The Labor Day hurricane of 1935 destroyed large parts of the railroad. An 11-car train was thrown of its tracks during an effort to rescue residents.

Nowadays, the main transportation route is a single 2 lane road, US-1. The older connecting road has had chunks of it demolished to make its bridge functions obsolete. However, the debris makes for great fishing spots, so most days and nights you can find fishers at the end of the ruined roads. Evacuation during threat of a hurricane still remains a problem.

Tourism and rich folk are beginning to replace the laid-back, carefree culture of the Keys. One key, West Summerland, is divided between the Boy and Girl Scouts of America. The Girl Scout side, Camp Wesumkee, has several cabins with grass roofs, dining hall, and a lovely cove beach as well as rocky shores. Each year the Winter Star Party is hosted there, drawing amateur and professional astronomers from across the globe.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A558281

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more