The Bookworm Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworms by Amy the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

Astonishing Splashes of Colour by Clare Morrall

There is one very important thing to note about the main character of this novel. Kitty has one of the most important jobs in the world; she reviews books!smiley - winkeye Specifically children’s books and children form the main theme of this gently absorbing story. It may seem odd to describe a novel about miscarriage and grief as gentle, but there is a delicacy about ‘Splashes’ that stops it from being a harrowing read.

Deservedly short listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2003, ‘Splashes’ takes its title from a line in ‘Peter Pan’ by J.M. Barrie. This story, with its theme of lost boys is a key influence. The echo of lost boys is particularly poignant as the child Kitty miscarried would have been male; she calls him ‘Henry’. The end development is also influenced by this theme. Twists before hand which are slightly clichéd but somehow right for the novel reveal Kitty to be a lost child in many ways, both literal and metaphorical.

’Splashes’ is a novel of glimpses. Just enough information is given about the various characters to develop the story. For such a sparse novel there is lots to captivate the reader and several intriguing sub-plots which shape Kitty’s actions. I finished the novel feeling that there was a hidden hero in Kitty’s life: James, her husband. He is always there, waiting patiently for her to need him. I think we all need a James in our lives.

This novel is a very delicately balanced mix of emotions. It could have been extremely depressing, instead it is thoughtful. There is a hint of tragedy, almost a connecting thread weaving through ‘Splashes’. Again, though ever present it does not overwhelm the story. ‘Astonishing Splashes of Colour’ is a book to take a risk with. Immerse yourself in it and it may just surprise you.

The Bookworm Club Review Archive

Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A5713076

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more