McIntosh Reserve, Georgia, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

McIntosh Reserve, Georgia, USA

0 Conversations

McIntosh Reserve is a 487-acre park that is operated by Carroll County, Georgia, USA. It's open from April through October. The road that meanders through the park reveals a variety of activities.

There is a small water park for children to the left of the entrance, as well as numerous picnic and camping sites - many of which are situated along the Chattahoochee River. There is also a very small history centre towards the back of the reserve. The park allows horse back riding (although you have to bring your own horse), dogs on a six-foot lead, and boating.

The park was part of Chief McIntosh's plantation, which was called Lochau Talogau and his home doubled as an inn. The plantation is now all fields and woods, and a reconstructed inn has been put on the site of his home.

Chief William McIntosh

The park is named after Chief William McIntosh. He was born to a Creek woman named Senoya and his father was General William McIntosh of Scotland. Chief McIntosh fought for the United States several times including during the War of 1812. He was awarded the rank of Brigadier General of US Volunteers.

In 1825, he signed the Treaty of Indian Springs, which gave away all Creek lands in western Georgia in exchange for $400,000 and lands in Arkansas. Part of the agreement was that the Chief McIntosh would be able to keep his plantation. Outraged Creek Indians subsequently murdered him.

Chief McIntosh's grave is across the street from his home site. It's a small single plot, marked with a military grave stone.

Driving Directions

From Atlanta, drive west on I-20. Get off at exit 34, and go left on Georgia Highway 5. The reserve is on the left about three miles past Whitesburg.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A622504

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more