An Eye Witness Account

0 Conversations

I didn't watch, I didn't see it hit. I just ran.

- Australian economist Rory Robertson was on the ground floor of the World Trade Center when the first plane hit. He emailed this first-hand account to friends in Wellington, New Zealand

Like many others, I was way too close to the action. I am pretty shaken, though have not even a scratch.

At about 3.45am (NZ time), we were on the ground floor of the World Trade Center Marriot [hotel] listening to the breakfast speaker at an economics conference when what turned out to be the first hijacked plane hit our tower.

There was a bit of a bang and the building shook. We all looked at each other across the table, wondering. Earthquake? Presumably everyone else was also thinking about the 110 floors above us. Then the building shook again. Everyone ran for the door and then the foyer. The move was reasonably orderly. I noticed dust and smoke coming from one lift well; probably it was a bomb (as in 1993), I thought. I was terrified, but okay.

Everyone was keen to get out into the street, but we didn't really know how frightened to be. On getting to the foyer, you could see the debris outside on the ground. Hotel officials told people not to go outside, as things might still be crashing down. Maybe five minutes later, people moved outside and we could see the hole near the top of the building. And the fire. It was a mind-numbing sight.

Thousands of people were spilling out into the street from buildings in the financial district, but none of us had much idea what had happened. Someone said it was a missile; another said a helicopter had crashed into the tower. So it might have been an accident?

I didn't have a clue what to do. Like everyone else, I kept looking up, marvelling at the hole and the fire near the top of the first tower.

As I started to move away, I observed debris here and there, the sort of things you would expect to see when a passenger plane explodes. I was maybe 250 yards from the WTC when I looked up and saw the second plane fly directly - maybe 150 yards - above me. Instantly, I knew it was going to hit the tower.

I didn't watch, I didn't see it hit. I just ran, maybe 50 yards towards an alley, terrified that the debris could easily carry to where I stood.

As I ran, I heard the explosion as the second plane hit. I made the alley, and hugged the side of the building. My thought was that the building was high enough to block out any flying objects, but looking around I could see bits and pieces from the first plane. A young Japanese woman stumbled into the alley, crying and very distressed, We hunkered against the wall. I put my arm around her shoulder and told her we were safe, hoping we were.

After a few minutes, I started walking quickly to the bottom of the island.Looking over my shoulder, I could see the holes in the two towers, and the fires. My head was still spinning. People were watching, some crying, most stunned. One guy said the US was at war.


Loonytunes


13.09.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A631108

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more