Ink, Stamps or Wiggs, or: "Why we aren't British any more"

1 Conversation

Author's note: February is a mercifully short, cold month, but it is packed with adventure. In addition to Groundhog Day and Valentine's Day, we in the US have Presidents' Day, because Washington and Lincoln had birthdays then. To be truthful, I think Washington was born in January, but they moved the calendar on him. Anyway, the weather has been so bad I've had nothing to do over here but write history lessons and do my taxes. Which has led to the following reflection upon...American history and taxes. I hope you enjoy it. Maybe you can win a pub quiz with some of the information.
To Wigg Out or Not to Wigg Out
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the doings of Sam Adams and Paul Revere...

British Hootooers sometimes scratch their heads and wonder about that big wrinkly continent to the west of Greenwich Mean Time. They ask themselves, How did our Prime Ministers get to be following that Commander-in-Chief fellow around, instead of his taking orders from us, as is right and proper? Weren't those people colonists, after all?

You are quite right, my British friend. We used to be British—even those of us who spoke German, Gullah, or Algonquin. How we got to be something silly called Americans1 is an interesting story. And of course, it's all Boston's fault. If it weren't for them, we'd be speaking properly and playing soccer instead of watching that dumb Superbowl3.

The Automobile Wars

It all started with the Automobile Wars, naturally. Pontiac's Rebellion was the first shot – bow-and-arrow, of course – across the bows of...whatever. Chief Pontiac was annoyed because Simon Girty and his friends wouldn't stay out of Ohio. So he started an industrial action by laying siege to Fort Detroit4. What Pontiac was hoping to do was in effect a hostile takeover, then return the fort to the French and do a deal with Peugeot. Alas, it was not to be – even after the unfortunate incident when they barbecued a British Regular5.

The Automobile Wars escalated when Pontiac's troops besieged the centre of the steel industry, Fort Pitt. The less said about this, the better – everybody got sick, the baseball season was ruined, and when General Bouquet (obviously an ancestor of Hyacinth's) showed up, everybody was relieved. Literally. They rang the church bells in Philly to celebrate the end of hostilities and the beginning of football season. Some yahoos in Lancaster went around t.p.'ing6 the Indians, but their parents said it was just rumspringa, and Ben Franklin told them off, as usual.

A Taxing Situation

King George III, bless his little pea-pickin', said all this fighting and car-racing was expensive, and he expected the Americans to pay for it. Yep. He said, 'Americans', like we weren't the same thing as Englishmen. How do you like them apples? Uh, wait...he said something worse...he said something about paying for something...hey, now wait a minute...aren't we supposed to be getting military protection for free???

NEIN, says Farmer George. And also nope, nay, and not on your life. I've just sent 10,000 troops over there to guard the western border, and I expect you to quarter them.

Er, the Injuns already quartered one of them...with hot sauce, we think...

Not like THAT. Quarter them, as in, give them food and shelter. Oh, and rum. And beer. And Cyder. Soldiers drink a lot of that sort of thing.

Colonists were outraged, especially the Temperance Union. And farmers with daughters, who didn't want the military sleeping in their barns. (The tavern owners were secretly pleased, as they had a lot of low-quality Cyder to unload.) But Cyder or no Cyder, nobody wanted to pay all those taxes.

At first it was just molasses. And the tax went down, which should have been cool – but wasn't. You see, this time they were going to enforce the tax. Now, how shabby is that? Then they went to town – London, probably – and taxed:

  • Sugar, spice, and everything nice.
  • Coffee, tea, wine, rum and coca-cola.
  • Paper, stamps, parchment, stamps, ink, stamps, legal documents, stamps, playing cards, and stamps. This was known as the Stamp Act, because it made people stamp their feet in frustration from licking all that glue.

On top of everything else, the government forbade us to buy French wine. Now, we didn't hate the French back then – in spite of their being in cahoots with the Car Indians – and we liked a little Beaujolais nouveau now and again. Things were getting seriously annoying. Words like 'boycott' were being bandied about.

All Together Now: TAX-A-TION WITH-OUT REP-RE-SEN-TA-TION IS...

Meanwhile, in Boston, home of the bean, the cod, and domestic terrorism...Sam Adams, professional hothead, and his low-life friends, such as Paul 'The Silversmith' Revere, are fomenting revolutionary ideas out back of the Customs House. Sam's been writing letters to all and sundry7, telling them not to pay the taxes. (He didn't even pay the taxes on the ink and the paper, the cad.) Ben Franklin's doing much the same down in Philly, the sly old kite-flyer, and his buddy John Dickinson is writing to the newspapers, something called Letters from a Farmer. Even when Dickinson is outed as a lawyer and not a farmer, it doesn't help – the fickle publick keeps getting even fickler, and boycott is all the rage. But Sam 's not happy until he's got a riot going...which brings us to...

The Massacre That Wasn't

Now, having 700 soldiers in town when there's no parade on isn't exactly a picnic. Besides snagging all the best tables in the tavern and snogging all the pretty girls, they've been holding floggings on Boston Common, which is playing merry H with the bowling season. And they're insulting us all, saying we're not real Englishmen, calling us Yankee Doodles and saying we wear macaroni in our hats, stuff like that.

It isn't our fault we're behind on the fashions – it takes the ships a couple of weeks to get here, and by that time all the X-Factor DVDs are out of date, and how did we know that Jedward weren't really cool? Anyway, there's the periwig problem. You love 'em...we, er, don't.

See, it gets hot over here. A lot. And poncing around in those hairpieces just isn't on, it makes the dog bark and Aunt Sukie laugh, and besides Judge Sewall, that Puritan stalwart, HATES the things, and if you put one on he'll come over to your house for an Intervention and tell you you're going to hell...something about how those Wiggs are made of ladies' hair, well, really...

Of course, all the officers are wearing Wiggs, pretty cool ones with pigtails and all, and the lasses are going right for them...that and the fact they NEVER pay their bills on time will just get right up your nose, it will...

So when they started the snowball fight in Boston, well, a lot of people pitched in. John Adams, the old stick-in-the-mud (who was wearing a Wigg, too), said the soldiers fired in self-defence, and they hit poor Crispus Attucks, who was probably minding his own business, and yeah, yeah, branding people on the thumb is kind of harsh (ouch!), but John said his cousin Sam shouldn't call it a Massacre, it was just a bunch of Riffe-Raffe and Irishmen8. But Sam called it a Massacre, anyway, and Paul R engraved the hot pic of the week and sent it out everywhere, even to yahoo, and the videos on Youtube alone...

Of course the pic wasn't exactly what happened — there was photoshop involved, but hey, the end justifies...er, wait...tax-a-tion with-out rep-...oh, whatever.

If you want to play Gotcha with the pic, look here. And shut up about it — these are our Founding Crooks, er, Fathers. Or something.

Cheers, Huzzah, and Et Cetera

Well, children, that's more or less how it was, back in 1763-1770. At least, that's our story, and we're sticking to it. Sometimes we wish we hadn't started it. You guys have all the cool TV, and that RP accent gets the girls...

It's hard to see who you're shooting at until the smoke clears

Fact and Fiction by Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

15.02.10

Back Issue Page

1Canadians who insist they are also Americans should go peddle their wares elsewhere. They are North Americans. They also have another name: Canadians. How many do you want? Get off our cases, or we will remind you about that still-pending arson case, when youze guys burnt down the White House, causing our First Lady, Dolley Madison, to flee the premises with a wheelbarrow full of silver and a very ugly painting of George Washington.22We've tried 'United Staters', but it wouldn't catch on.3Who won that thing, anyway? I wasn't paying attention.4Pronounced by the French, 'Deh-TWAH', but by Southerners 'DEE-troyt'. Just thought you'd like to know.5It is not recorded whether they used basting or the dry rub method.6=toilet papering. You mean you don't do that? Must be an American custom.7And Sundry's cousin Bennie.8No comment.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A63114310

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more