MaW's Musings

1 Conversation

Today has, so far, been a pretty bad day. First, one of my housemates left his washing up from last night's dinner all over the kitchen - some of it was washed but sitting on the draining rack, some was dirty and sitting next to the sink, and the frying pan was immersed in yucky water in the washing up bowl. It wasn't the nicest thing to encounter first thing in the morning, especially after an argument with the shower1. I shall have to see what I can do about that. Anyway, on to the next problem.

The next problem came when I arrived on campus after a cold cycle ride to discover that, somewhere along the way, the cold that's been building up over the last few days has exploded. In a way, I'm glad it finally has, but in another way, I'm not glad at all because I'm going to be feeling particularly unpleasant for the next few days. I just hope it goes away in time for Tai Chi on Friday evening.

You might think that was enough to fill one morning, but oh no, it wasn't enough for the Universe to be satisfied with. It had to go and start a small fire in the kitchen which is attached to the Computer Science building so, on top of all that, I had to go outside in the cold for a while, and I've got a headache from the nasty wailing sound2.

Upcoming Events

In case you're not aware, the 3rd Annual h2g2 Bikini Competition is getting into full swing. There are already many entrants, including myself. My bikini is a very special man's bikini. The top half is invisible, but is made in such a way as to give the effect of improved upper-body muscle tone. The bottom half is more conventional, apart from the special magical dyes that change colour on a fairly random basis. Unfortunately, they don't always go for colours that are tasteful. To finish it off, I'm wearing a nice pair of sandals, and my toenail varnish changes colour in synchronisation with the bikini bottom.

For more information about the Bikini Competition, see Bluebottle's article in this week's Post. And remember, when the voting starts, vote for Mina3.

Hallowe'en

At the time of writing, it's the thirty-first of October, or All Hallow's Eve, the end of the old year and the night where the dead walk the land of the living.

It's a shame about all the brash commercialism associated with it these days. Two people that I know of have already had trick-or-treaters around (two days early!) which really isn't on at all. Mind you, there has to be something wrong with encouraging children to go out and do unkind things (that sometimes technically if not in spirit amount to criminal damage) to people who don't give them sweets just because they ask for them. I understand the concept's bigger in the USA than it is here. For that, I am extremely pleased.

Tonight, I'm happy my bedroom's on the second floor.

Music

I was listening to the Dixie Chicks the other day, so I thought I'd mention them here. If you really hate country music, they're probably not for you, but then I thought I hated country music, but I like the Dixie Chicks. That's probably because they're slightly less country than what most people of my acquaintance think of as country.

That didn't make any sense, so I'm going to start the next paragraph with a clean slate.

Essentially, even if you think you don't like country music, they're probably worth listening to, because you never know, you might just like it - and, best of all, they beat the socks off any of this manufactured music you hear nowadays. I particularly recommend the excellent single Cowboy Take Me Away - however, as usual, I do not accept responsibility for you not liking my recommendations.

The End

Here I finish for another week. I'll probably have something to say about something else bad that's happened as well4. Until then, goodbye.


MaW


01.11.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Which the shower won2Yes, the fire's all sorted out now, which is why I'm back inside in the warm. The fire alarm does seem to enjoy going off though, because it does a two wail burst from time to time, eliciting sounds of great disgruntlement from everyone present. This has now been revealed by a staff member to be caused by the call point that was originally used to set off the fire alarm, because the glass hasn't been replaced yet. There is now somebody standing by the control panel, who turns the alarm off every time it comes on again. I like that person3This may seem intuitively obvious, but I just thought I'd mention it so that everyone's clear on it4Not that I'm feeling pessimistic or anything

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A651610

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more