Doctor Who Episode Guide: the 1960s Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Doctor Who Episode Guide: the 1960s

12 Conversations

Doctor Who
1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2005-9 | 2010

Doctor Who is a BBC drama series and the longest-running science-fiction programme in worldwide TV history. The show was first broadcast in 1963, when a series would run for almost the entire year. By the 1970s, this was reduced to a run of about five months and by the 1980s it was down to just 14 weeks a year.

This entry divides the stories into 'seasons'; each season covers all of the episodes shown within one transmitted block of episodes. The original series ran for 26 seasons up to 1989. This entry also lists the three Doctor Who productions that were transmitted between 1993 and 1999, although only the TV Movie is classed as an official story. We have also included information on the revived series, which began in 2005. Although this 2005 revival is generally classed as 'Series One', the intention is that it is a continuation of the original series, hence its presence here.

Note: The story titles supplied here are, in some places, based on a combination of sources. The first stories, up to and including 'The Gunfighters', did not have on-screen overall story titles and there remains some debate as to the 'proper' titles for some stories. For the first three stories there are no absolute 'right' titles - despite some people insisting otherwise, but to save argument, we've gone with the titles that appear in the files at Doctor Who Magazine. That does not prevent you from referring to the first story as 'An Unearthly Child'; we consider it basic good manners to allow fans to stick to the titles they know rather than enforcing one title over another.

Season One

In the beginning, William Hartnell played the unpredictable Doctor, with William Russell as Ian Chesterton, Jacqueline Hill as Barbara Wright and Carole Ann Ford as Susan.

'100,000 BC' (4 episodes)

(Also known as 'An Unearthly Child' and 'The Tribe of Gum')

  • Broadcast: 23 November - 14 December, 19631
  • Writer: Anthony Coburn
  • Director: Waris Hussein
  • Incidental Music: Norman Kay

When schoolteachers Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright visit a 'problem' pupil at home, they discover that she is not what she first appears. The girl, Susan, is an alien 'from another time, another world'. She came to Earth thanks to a time machine called 'Tardis', owned by her grandfather, an old man known only as 'the Doctor'. The Doctor decides that he and Susan must leave quickly, taking the teachers with them. When the doors to the Tardis next open, they show the barren landscape of prehistoric Earth, where a small tribe are trying to rediscover the secret of making fire.

Episode Titles

  • 'An Unearthly Child'
  • 'The Cave of Skulls'
  • 'The Forest of Fear'
  • 'The Firemaker'

'The Mutants' (7 episodes)

(The title for this serial was later changed to avoid confusion with a later serial called 'The Mutants'. It's now commonly known as 'The Dead Planet' or simply 'The Daleks')

  • Broadcast: 14 December, 1963 - 25 January, 1964
  • Writer: Terry Nation
  • Directors: Christopher Barry (episodes 1, 2, 4, 5), Richard Martin (episodes 3, 6, 7)
  • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary

On an ashen planet called Skaro live the last survivors of a nuclear war. While the Thals look like humans, the Daleks are hideously mutated creatures that live inside metal machines. Taking the inhabitants of the Tardis captive, the Daleks decide to use them to lure the Thals into a trap - and exterminate their old enemies once and for all.

Episode Titles

  • 'The Dead Planet'
  • 'The Survivors'
  • 'The Escape'
  • 'The Ambush '
  • 'The Expedition'
  • 'The Ordeal'
  • 'The Rescue'

Note: Doctor Who's greatest enemies, the Daleks are of course introduced here, voiced by actors Peter Hawkins and David Graham; Hawkins had also provided the voices for children's favourites Captain Pugwash and the Flowerpot Men, while David Graham was a regular contributor to the puppet shows of Gerry Anderson. This story was later remade as the feature film Dr Who and the Daleks (1965), directed by Gordon Flemyng.

'Inside the Spaceship' (2 episodes)

(Also known as 'Edge of Destruction')

  • Broadcast: 8 - 15 February, 1964
  • Writer: David Whitaker
  • Director: John Gorrie
  • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary

After the doors to the Tardis open during flight, the travellers are left dazed, confused and paranoid as they try to piece together what happened.

Episode Titles

  • 'Edge of Destruction'
  • 'Brink of Disaster'

'Marco Polo' (7 episodes)

  • Broadcast: 22 February - 04 April, 1964
  • Writer: John Lucarotti
  • Directors: Waris Hussein (episodes 1, 2, 3 ,5, 7) and John Crockett (episode 4)
  • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary
  • The travellers join Marco Polo on his trek to Cathay for an audience with the infamous Kublai Khan. But one of Polo's party is an assassin, hired to prevent him reaching Khan's palace alive...

    Episode Titles

    • 'The Roof of the World '
    • 'The Singing Sands'
    • 'Five Hundred Eyes'
    • 'The Wall of Lies'
    • 'Rider From Shang-Tu'
    • 'Mighty Kublai Khan'
    • 'Assassin at Peking'

    Note: This was the first Doctor Who story to be promoted on the front cover of the Radio Times listings magazine.

    'The Keys of Marinus' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 11 April - 16 May, 1964
    • Writer: Terry Nation
    • Director: John Gorrie
    • Incidental Music: Norman Kay

    Landing on a beach of glass, at the edge of a sea of acid, the Doctor and his companions encounter a hermit called Arbitan who forces them to undertake a quest for a set of keys. Each key is hidden in a different part of the planet Marinus and when brought together they can be used to over-ride the Conscience, a machine that has the power to control people's minds. Reluctantly, the time-travellers accept the mission and set off to find the keys, unaware that Arbitan has been murdered by the evil Voord. On their quest, they release the people of Morphoton from the control of 'The Brains', narrowly avoid being strangled by vines in a sinister jungle, awaken sleeping ice soldiers and finally uncover a murder conspiracy in the city of Millenius.

    Episode Titles

    • 'The Sea of Death'
    • 'The Velvet Web'
    • 'The Screaming Jungle'
    • 'The Snows of Terror'
    • 'Sentence of Death'
    • 'The Keys of Marinus'

    'The Aztecs' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 23 May - 13 June, 1964
    • Writer: John Lucarotti
    • Director: John Crocket
    • Incidental Music: Richard Rodney Bennett

    The Tardis lands inside an Aztec temple and when Barbara leaves the temple wearing an ancient bracelet she is mistaken for the god Yetaxa. The Doctor is compelled to prevent Barbara from trying to change the course of history, whilst Ian is trained to fight as an Aztec warrior and Susan realises to her horror that she is to be married off. The Doctor too finds Aztec culture surprising when he discovers he's accidentally become engaged to the gentle lady Cameca...

    Episode Titles

    • The Temple of Evil
    • The Warriors of Death
    • The Bride of Sacrifice
    • The Day of Darkness

    'The Sensorites' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 20 June - 1 August, 1964
    • Writer: Peter R. Newman
    • Directors: Mervyn Pinfield (episodes 1, 2, 3, 4) and Frank Cox (episodes 5, 6)
    • Incidental Music: Norman Kay

    The time travellers encounter the inhabitants of a space ship orbiting the planet Sense Sphere, home of the telepathic Sensorites. What begins as an exchange of cultural ideas soon turns into a murder mystery.

    Episode Titles

    • 'Strangers in Space'
    • 'The Unwilling Warriors'
    • 'Hidden Danger'
    • 'A Race Against Death'
    • 'Kidnap'
    • 'A Desperate Venture'

    'The Reign of Terror' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 8 August - 12 September, 1964
    • Writer: Dennis Spooner
    • Directors: Henric Hirsch (episodes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6) and John Gorrie (episode 3)
    • Incidental Music: Stanley Myers

    The French Revolution is a favourite period of Earth history for the Doctor and Susan. But when the Tardis takes them there, the travellers discover a terrifying time where each of them face the threat of death...

    Episode Titles

    • 'A Land of Fear'
    • 'Guests of Madame Guillotine'
    • 'A Change of Identity'
    • 'The Tyrant of France'
    • 'A Bargain of Necessity'
    • 'Prisoners of Conciergerie'

    Season Two

    This season was one of great change for the series as William Hartnell's co-stars began to leave and be replaced. First to leave was Carole Ann Ford, who had tired of playing a schoolgirl.

    'Planet of Giants' (3 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 31 October - 14 November, 1964
    • Writer: Louis Marks
    • Directors: Mervyn Pinfield, Douglas Camfield
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    Episode Titles

    1. 'Planet of Giants'
    2. 'Dangerous Journey'
    3. 'Crisis'

    The travellers finally return to modern-day Earth. However, a malfunction inside the Tardis shrinks its inhabitants to the size of insects, which is painfully ironic considering they've landed in the back garden of a scientist working on a particularly deadly pesticide...

    'The Dalek Invasion of Earth' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 21 November, 1964 - 26 December, 1964
    • Writer: Terry Nation
    • Director: Richard Martin
    • Incidental Music: Francis Chagrin

    Episode Titles

    1. 'World's End'
    2. 'The Daleks'
    3. 'Day of Reckoning'
    4. 'The End of Tomorrow'
    5. 'The Waking Ally'
    6. 'Flashpoint'

    In 2164, the Earth is invaded by the Daleks. Some years later, the Tardis travellers return to London to find it almost deserted, its inhabitants enslaved or worse - turned into lobotomised henchmen, the Robomen. Taken in by a group of rebels, the Tardis crew help launch an attack on a Dalek ship but the attack is a failure and the friends are separated. All roads lead to a Dalek mine in Bedford where the Daleks are drilling deep into the Earth's core. But for what purpose?

    Note: 'Flashpoint' marked the last regular appearance of Carole Ann Ford as Susan. This story was later remade as the feature film Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 AD (1966), directed by Gordon Flemyng.

    'The Rescue' (2 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 2 - 9 January, 1965
    • Writer: David Whitaker
    • Director: Christopher Barry
    • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Powerful Enemy'
    2. 'Desperate Measures'

    On the planet Dido lies a crashed space rocket and the last two survivors of its crew, Bennett and a young orphan called Vicki. The wounded and bed-ridden Bennett lives in constant fear of the Didonians and their fearsome leader, Koquillion, but he also seems unwilling to accept the help of the Doctor and his companions. Could there be more to Bennett's fears than even Vicki realises?

    Note: Maureen O'Brien made her first appearance as companion Vicki in this story.

    'The Romans' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 16 January - 6 February, 1965
    • Writer: Dennis Spooner
    • Director: Christopher Barry
    • Incidental Music: Raymond Jones

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Slave Traders'
    2. 'All Roads Lead to Rome'
    3. 'Conspiracy'
    4. 'Inferno'

    More by accident than design, the Doctor and his friends enjoy a holiday in an abandoned Roman villa in the year 64AD. But it's not long before they find their relaxation interrupted once again as the former schoolteachers are sold as slaves and the Doctor inadvertently inspires Emperor Nero to take drastic action.

    'The Web Planet' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 13 February - 20 March, 1965
    • Writer: Bill Strutton
    • Director: Richard Martin
    • Incidental Music: Stock music

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Web Planet'
    2. 'The Zarbi'
    3. 'Escape to Danger'
    4. 'Crater of Needles'
    5. 'Invasion'
    6. 'The Centre'

    The planet Vortis, in the Isop Galaxy, is home to the Menoptra, a race of insect-like beings with wings like butterflies. The Menoptra are being terrorised by giant ants - the Zarbi - and their deadly venom grubs. But the Zarbi are being controlled by an even more horrific force, the Animus...

    'The Crusade' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 27 March - 17 April, 1965
    • Writer: David Whitaker
    • Director: Richard Martin
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Lion'
    2. 'The Knight of Jaffa'
    3. 'The Wheel of Fortune'
    4. 'The Warlords'

    12th-century Palestine is the next stop for the travellers as they find themselves caught up in the Holy War being staged by King Richard the Lionheart against the leader of the Saracens, Saladin. King Richard hopes to marry off his sister, Joanna, to Saladin's brother in an attempt to bring the war to an end. But Barbara is being held captive by Saladin, and for the Doctor, Ian and Vicki, she is their primary objective. Ian finds himself made a Knight of the Realm - Sir Ian, no less - and is despatched as a Royal Emissary to plead for Barbara's release. Meanwhile, the Doctor and Vicki have their work cut out simply trying to avoid being caught up in the politics of the Royal Court.

    'The Space Museum' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 24 April - 15 May, 1965
    • Writer: Glyn Jones
    • Director: Mervyn Pinfield
    • Incidental Music: None

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Space Museum'
    2. 'The Dimensions of Time'
    3. 'The Search'
    4. 'The Final Phase'

    A jump in time gives the Doctor and his friends a frightening vision of their future as they see themselves as exhibits in a strange museum. Back in their own dimension, they must do everything in their power to prevent this vision from becoming reality. Meanwhile, there's the small matter of a civil war between the Moroks and the Xerons.

    'The Chase' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 22 May - 26 June, 1965
    • Writer: Terry Nation
    • Director: Richard Martin
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Executioners'
    2. 'The Death of Time'
    3. 'Flight Through Eternity'
    4. 'Journey into Terror'
    5. 'The Death of Doctor Who'
    6. 'The Planet of Decision'

    The Daleks have tracked down the Tardis through time and space. Cue a chase that will take the travellers from the planet Aridius to the decks of the Marie Celeste, a haunted house populated by Count Dracula and Frankenstein's monster, the top of the Empire State Building and finally to the city of Mechanus, home of the robotic Mechanoids.

    Note: William Russell (Ian) and Jacqueline Hill (Barbara) leave in the final episode of this story, which also introduces Peter Purves as Steven Taylor.

    'The Time Meddler' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 3 - 24 July, 1965
    • Writer: Dennis Spooner
    • Director: Douglas Camfield
    • Incidental Music: Percussion by Charles Butterill, all other music from stock

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Watcher'
    2. 'The Meddling Monk'
    3. 'A Battle of Wits'
    4. 'Checkmate'

    When another Tardis turns up in a village in 1066, the Doctor fears the worst. He has encountered a member of his own people posing as a monk. The man has none of the Doctor's scruples regarding interfering with time; indeed, he cannot help but meddle. However, the Doctor is aware that the year 1066 marks a precarious point in the web of time and decides that the Monk's caper must be brought to an end.

    Season Three

    'Galaxy 4' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 11 September - 2 October, 1965
    • Writer: William Emms
    • Director: Derek Martinus
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    Episode Titles

    1. 'Four Hundred Dawns'
    2. 'Trap of Steel'
    3. 'Air Lock'
    4. 'The Exploding Planet'

    On a desolate planet in Galaxy Four lie two spacecraft. One contains the beautiful Drahvins, a race of warriors cloned from their leader, Maaga. The other craft houses the hideous Rill and their robots, which Vicki nicknames Chumblies. The Drahvin craft is irreparably damaged so they set their sites on the Rill's ship, and kidnap Steven to force the Doctor and Vicki to help them. Time is running out though; if the Doctor's calculations are correct, there are only four days left before the planet itself disintegrates.

    'Mission to the Unknown' (1 episode)

    • Broadcast: 9 October, 1965
    • Writer: Terry Nation
    • Director: Derek Martinus

    A team of Space Security agents led by Marc Cory land on the planet Kembel where they find allies of the Daleks amassing for a conference. Cory tapes a message warning the planet Earth of the Daleks' plans to invade the solar system but before he can send it he is exterminated by the daleks. However, the tape containing the message survives...

    Note: Acting as a prologue for 'The Daleks' Master Plan', this is the only episode of Doctor Who not to feature any of the series regulars.

    'The Myth Makers' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 16 October - 6 November, 1965
    • Writer: Donald Cotton
    • Director: Michael Leeston-Smith
    • Incidental Music: Humphrey Searle

    Episode Titles

    1. 'Temple of Secrets'
    2. 'Small Prophet, Quick Return'
    3. 'Death of a Spy'
    4. 'Horse of Destruction'

    When the Tardis lands not far from the city of Troy, the Doctor is hailed as the god Zeus by Achilles. Taken to meet Odysseus and Agamemnon, the Doctor is forced to come up with an idea to help the Greek forces to capture Troy once and for all. After an initial reluctance to interfere, he gives them the idea of building a giant wooden horse in which to hide their troops. Meanwhile, Steven and Vicki are captured by the Trojans. Vicki assumes the identity of Cressida and falls in love with a young man called Troilus, while Steven becomes a sword-wielding soldier and is seriously wounded. When he returns to the Tardis, it's with the assistance of a humble and bewildered handmaiden called Katarina...

    Note: Maureen O'Brien made her last appearance as Vicki in this story, while Adrienne Hill joined the series in the final episode of this story to play ill-fated companion Katarina.

    'The Daleks' Master Plan' (12 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 13 November, 1965 - 29 January, 1966
    • Writers: Terry Nation [1-5,7] and Dennis Spooner [6,8-12]
    • Directors: Douglas Camfield
    • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary
    1. 'The Nightmare Begins'
    2. 'Day of Armageddon'
    3. 'Devil's Planet'
    4. 'The Traitors'
    5. 'Counter Plot'
    6. 'Coronas of the Sun'
    7. 'The Feast of Steven'
    8. 'Volcano'
    9. 'Golden Death'
    10. 'Escape Switch'
    11. 'The Abandoned Planet'
    12. 'Destruction of Time'

    While Katarine tends to the wounded Steven, the Doctor explores the planet Kembel in search of help. There he encounters Bret Vyon, a Space Security agent on the trail of the missing Marc Cory. The desperate Vyon initially tricks the travellers into helping him flee the planet but eventually he joins them and reveals that the planet is home to the Daleks who are in the final planning stages of a plan to invade the Solar System and build a Time Destructor with the help of delegates from other planets. But when they discover that the Guardian of the Solar System, Mavic Chen, is among the delegates, the Doctor and his friends steal the vital Taranium Core from the Daleks' Time Destructor and flee the planet using Chen's ship with the intention of warning the people of Earth that they have been betrayed.

    Landing Chen's ship on the prison planet Desperus while they get their bearings, the travellers are unaware that the ship has acquired a stowaway, a convict called Kirksen, who holds Katarina captive to prevent the ship from going to Earth. As the Doctor and Steven try to persuade Vyon to give in to the convict's demands, Katarina pulls a lever inside the airlock and both she and the convict are pulled out into deep space towards certain death.

    Vyon is also killed by another Space Security agent - his own sister, Sara Kingdom, who had been told by Chen that Vyon was a traitor. When she learns the truth of Chen's treachery, she joins the Doctor and Steven in their quest to thwart Chen's plans. The trio return to Kembel to collect the Tardis and from there they escape in time, doggedly pursued by the Daleks in one of their own time ships. As Chen and the Daleks gain ground, the Doctor will be forced to take desperate steps to defeat them...

    Note: Adrienne Hill's character, Katarina, was killed off in 'The Traitors', the first time a companion had died in the series. The character was specifically developed with this shock departure in mind. Although erroneously listed in several other guides as a companion, Jean Marsh's character Sara Kingdom was only ever intended to be a guest star.

    'The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve' (4 episodes)

    (Also known as 'The Massacre')

    • Broadcast: 5 - 26 February, 1966
    • Writer: John Lucarotti
    • Director: Paddy Russell
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    Episode Titles

    1. 'War of God'
    2. 'The Sea Beggar'
    3. 'Priest of Death'
    4. 'Bell of Doom'

    Paris, 1572, and while the Doctor pays a visit to the famous apothecary Charles Preslin, Steven meets a group of Huguenots who have learned of a plan by the Queen Mother, Catherine de Medici to execute all Protestants in France. Matters are complicated for Steven when he discovers that the Catholic Abbot of Amboise is an exact double for the Doctor. Steven must be reunited with the Doctor before the massacre begins...

    Note: The final episode of this story saw the arrival of Jackie Lane as Dodo.

    'The Ark' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 5 - 26 March, 1966
    • Writers: Paul Erickson and Lesley Scott
    • Director: Michael Imison
    • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Steel Sky'
    2. 'The Plague'
    3. 'The Return'
    4. 'The Bomb'

    Taking their new travelling companion Dodo to the far future, the travellers emerge from the Tardis on board a giant space ark containing the last survivors of Earth before its destruction. The Earth people are in search of a new home to call their own and have joined forces with a race of one-eyed aliens called the Monoids. But a plague threatens to wipe out the entire human race - a plague that has almost certainly come from Dodo's cold. The Doctor manages to find a cure and he and his friends return to the Tardis and depart. However their next stop is the same ark many years into the future. By this time, the ark has reached an Earth-like planet called Refusis... and the Monoids have now enslaved the humans.

    'The Celestial Toymaker' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 2 - 23 April, 1966
    • Writer: Brian Hayles
    • Director: Bill Sellars
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    Episode Titles

    1. 'The Celestial Toyroom'
    2. 'The Hall of Dolls'
    3. 'The Dancing Floor'
    4. 'The Final Test'

    In a mysterious domain of his own creation lives the Toymaker, a being that the Doctor has encountered before. The Toymaker has captured the Tardis with the intention of turning its inhabitants into his playthings. While the Doctor is compelled to play the fiendish Trilogic Game, his companions must solve a series of riddles posed by the Toymaker's toys - dolls that were once human. But if they make one mistake, both the Tardis and their freedom will be lost forever...

    'The Gunfighters' (4 episodes)

  • Broadcast: 30 April - 21 May, 1966
  • Writer: Donald Cotton
  • Director: Rex Tucker
  • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary ('The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon' sung by Lynda Baron, played by Tom McCall)
  • Episode Titles

    1. 'A Holiday for the Doctor'
    2. 'Don't Shoot the Pianist'
    3. 'Johnny Ringo'
    4. 'The O.K. Corral'

    In the Wild West of legend, the Clanton brothers are preparing a gunfight at the OK Corral. Doc Holliday and lawman Wyatt Earp are determined to stop the bloodshed. Meanwhile, the town welcomes the showman Doctor Caligari and his companions Dodo Dupont and Steven Regret as they all prepare for the final performance of 'The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon'.

    'The Savages' (4 episodes)

    From this point until 2005, Doctor Who stories ceased to have individual on-screen titles.

    • Broadcast: 28 May - 18 June, 1966
    • Writer: Ian Stuart Black
    • Director: Christopher Barry
    • Incidental Music: Raymond Jones

    On the planet Exorse, an elite group of Elders are draining the life essence of the planet's savage people to prolong their own lives. The Doctor and his friends arrive to be hailed as welcome guests, but when they start to interfere with the Elders' plans, their leader Jano decides to drain the Doctor's life essence...

    Note: The final episode saw the last appearance of Peter Purves as Steven.

    'The War Machines' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 25 June - 16 July, 1966
    • Writer: Ian Stuart Black, based on an idea by Kit Pedler
    • Director: Michael Ferguson
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    The Tardis brings the Doctor and Dodo to modern-day London. Dodo is excited to see that the Post Office Tower has been completed since she left London months earlier, but the Doctor senses a powerful evil emanating from the tower. Blustering his way past the tower's security, the Doctor manages to obtain access to the laboratory of Professor Brett, the inventor of a super-computer called WOTAN. As Brett prepares to connect WOTAN to a world-wide network of similar computers, he has no idea that WOTAN is preparing an army of war machines with which to subjugate the human race. Meanwhile, the Doctor acquires two new friends, Professor Brett's secretary, Polly, and a young sailor called Ben.

    Note: Jackie Lane (Dodo) left midway through this story, which also introduced Michael Craze (Ben Jackson) and Anneke Wills (Polly).

    Season Four

    'The Smugglers' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 10 September - 1 October, 1966
    • Writer: Brian Hayles
    • Director: Julia Smith
    • Incidental Music: None

    Polly and Ben are astounded when they leave the Tardis to find themselves in Cornwall in the 17th Century. There they uncover the machinations of a local squire, who has connections with a band of pirates.

    'The Tenth Planet' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 8 - 29 October, 1966
    • Writers: Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis
    • Director: Derek Martinus
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    It's 1986, and the Tardis brings the Doctor and his friends to a base at the South Pole during a security alert. A planet terrifyingly similar to our own has been drawn into the Earth's orbit. The Doctor identifies it as the planet Mondas, one-time twin planet to Earth before a disaster knocked it out of orbit and sent it to the outer reaches of the Solar System. Its inhabitants survived by replacing their body parts with cybernetics until they had evolved into a frightening parody of the human form. They became a new race - the Cybermen. Now, Mondas has returned home to drain the Earth of its resources. The Doctor knows he must defeat the invaders. He also knows his old body is wearing thin and his life has come to an end... or is it just a new beginning?

    Note: William Hartnell made his final regular appearance as the Doctor here, replaced in the final seconds by Patrick Troughton. This story also sees the introduction of the Cybermen, regarded by many as the show's second-greatest recurring monsters, after the Daleks.

    'The Power of the Daleks' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 5 November - 10 December, 1966
    • Writer: David Whitaker (plus Dennis Spooner, uncredited)
    • Director: Christopher Barry
    • Incidental Music: Tristram Cary

    A man wearing the Doctor's cloak stands before Ben and Polly and proclaims himself to be a 'rejuvenated' Doctor. The Tardis brings them to an Earth colony on the planet Vulcan where a murder investigation grabs the Doctor's attention. Posing as an Investigator, the Doctor manages to infiltrate the colony, where he learns that a scientist has managed to awaken the metallic occupant of a crashed space rocket. It is a Dalek, and despite its claims to be a willing servant of humanity, the Doctor is instantly alarmed by its presence. Even he can not imagine the true nature of the power of the Daleks, which even now are reproducing at a terrifying rate. Soon, the entire colony will be engulfed with Daleks...

    'The Highlanders' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 17 December 1966 - 7 January, 1967
    • Writers: Gerry Davis and Elwyn Jones
    • Director: Hugh David
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    After the Battle of Culloden, the British Redcoat forces explore the moors for escaping Scottish rebels. One such rebel is Jamie McCrimmon who had helped his Laird and the Laird's daughter evade the British. At this point in his life, death seems a certainty for Jamie, and at first the arrival of the Tardis crew does little to change this - especially when Jamie, the Doctor and Ben are captured by Redcoat Lieutenant Ffinch who orders that they be hanged...

    Note: Frazer Hines joined the show in this story as Jamie, the longest-serving of all the Doctor's companions.

    'The Underwater Menace' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 14 January - 4 February, 1967
    • Writer: Geoffrey Orme
    • Director: Julia Smith
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    The fabled city of Atlantis is under the control of an insane professor Zaroff, whose experiments have led to the creation of a race of fish people and a killer octopus in a bid for global domination. While the Doctor and his friends try to help the Atlanteans, Zaroff boasts that nothing in the world can stop him now...

    'The Moonbase' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 11 February - 4 March, 1967
    • Writer: Kit Pedler
    • Director: Morris Barry
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    By the year 2070, mankind has established a base on the Moon to house the gravitron, a machine that can control the Earth's weather. But a mysterious plague and a spate of disappearances have left the base in a state of panic. When the Doctor promises to help find the cause of the plague, he has no idea that his investigation will lead him to a race he'd believed long dead. But the Cybermen are determined to survive, whatever the cost.

    'The Macra Terror' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 11 March - 1 April, 1967
    • Writer: Ian Stuart Black
    • Director: John Davies
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    A holiday camp in space hides a horrific secret - the camp's Controller is in fact a front for a race of gigantic crabs called the Macra are using the inhabitants of the camp as slaves ignorant of their true purpose. The Doctor hopes to expose the true rulers of the colony, but both Ben and Jamie are now working for the Macra...

    'The Faceless Ones' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 8 April - 13 May, 1967
    • Writers: David Ellis and Malcolm Hulke
    • Director: Gerry Mill
    • Incidental Music: None

    The Tardis brings Ben and Polly back to 1966 - on a runway at Gatwick Airport. As the travellers evade the airport's security guards, Polly hides inside a warehouse and witnesses a man being murdered. Meanwhile, the airport authorities are being badgered by a Liverpudlian girl called Samantha who is looking for her brother who has disappeared. The two events are connected to an attempt by a race of aliens known as the Chameleons to take the place of human beings and slowly colonise Earth.

    Note: Michael Craze (Ben) and Anneke Wills (Polly) left the show at the end of this story.

    'The Evil of the Daleks' (7 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 20 May - 1 July, 1967
    • Writer: David Whitaker
    • Director: Derek Martinus
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    As the Doctor and Jamie wave goodbye to Ben and Polly, they see the Tardis being taken away on the back of a lorry. The limited trail of clues lead the Doctor and Jamie first to an antiques shop, then to a large country house in the year 1866 where two scientists, Maxtible and Waterfield, are being forced to conduct experiments for a higher power that is holding Waterfield's daughter Victoria hostage. The Doctor is shocked to learn that this higher power is the Daleks, but that is nothing compared to his surprise when the Daleks insist that he help the scientists with their experiments to identify a 'human factor' - with Jamie as their test subject. But why do the Daleks need a human factor? And what does this have to do with the Dalek Emperor, who sits in the heart of the Dalek city on Skaro?

    Note: New companion Victoria (Deborah Watling) was introduced in this story. Original Dalek voice artist Peter Hawkins performed his duties here for the final time, while Roy Skelton voiced the first of many Daleks for the series.

    Season Five

    'The Tomb of the Cybermen' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 2 - 23 September, 1967
    • Writers: Gerry Davis and Kit Pedler
    • Director: Morris Barry
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    A group of archaeologists have come to the planet Telos to uncover the legendary tombs of the Cybermen. Despite the Doctor's dire warnings, the party succeed in reviving the silver giants only to discover that the tomb is in fact an elaborate trap...

    'The Abominable Snowmen' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 30 September - 4 November, 1967
    • Writers: Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln
    • Director: Gerald Blake
    • Incidental Music: None

    When the Tardis lands on a hillside in Tibet, the Doctor remembers that he has been there before, long ago, when he 'borrowed' a bell, the Holy Ghanta belonging to a nearby monastery. But his attempt to return the Ghanta to its rightful owners is frustrated when he's accused of murder by Professor Travers, the sole survivor of an expedition to find the mythical Yeti. As Jamie and Victoria discover, the Yeti are far from mythical - at least, not while the robotic fur-covered slaves of the Great Intelligence stalk the Tibetan hills...

    'The Ice Warriors' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 11 November - 16 December, 1967
    • Writer: Brian Hayles
    • Director: Derek Martinus
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson (vocals by Joanne Brown)

    During the Third Great Ice Age, the inhabitants of a frozen base uncover a warrior deep within the ice. Believing it to be a Viking, they eventually discover that it is in fact alien - a Martian called Varga whose small army remains frozen aboard his trapped ship. Varga is determined to free his fellow warriors and his spacecraft, even though this could destroy the base and condemn Europe to a frosty fate...

    Note: This story introduces the race known as the Ice Warriors, who appear in three subsequent TV stories, 'The Seeds of Death', 'The Curse of Peladon' and 'The Monster of Peladon'.

    'The Enemy of the World' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 23 December, 1967 - 27 January, 1968
    • Writer: David Whitaker
    • Director: Barry Letts
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    The Tardis lands on a beach in Australia where the Doctor soon learns that he has a double - a Mexican politician and would-be dictator called Salamander. When a group of people beg him to impersonate the dictator in a bid to overthrow him, the Doctor can hardly refuse. Now if only he can get the accent right...

    'The Web of Fear' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 3 February - 9 March, 1968
    • Writers: Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln
    • Director: Douglas Camfield
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    40 years after he met the Doctor and his friends, Professor Travers has fallen on hard times and sold his only robot Yeti to a collector, though he kept the Yeti's metal control sphere. But then the sphere goes missing and Travers can do nothing to prevent it from finding the Yeti and bringing it back to life. Soon, the Yeti is not alone and London is evacuated after the Underground begins to fill with a terrifying glowing web that can kill on touch. As more and more of the Underground is absorbed by the Yeti's web, a base is set up to house the British armed forces, led by Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart. But someone within the base has been possessed by the Great Intelligence...

    Note: This story saw the first appearance of Lethbridge-Stewart, played by Nicholas Courtney. Lethbridge-Stewart reappeared in 'The Invasion' before becoming a member of the regular cast from 'Spearhead from Space'.

    'Fury From the Deep' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 16 March - 20 April, 1968
    • Writer: Victor Pemberton
    • Director: Hugh David
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    An oil refinery facing the North Sea is slowly infiltrated by a parasitic weed that controls people's minds and emits a noxious gas. When the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria stumble upon the base, they are arrested for sabotage. But soon they convince some of the base's personnel that they are in danger when they begin to hear a chilling heartbeat from within the pipes...

    Note: Deborah Watling (Victoria) left the series at the end of this story. 'Fury From The Deep' also saw the first appearance of the Doctor's trusty sonic screwdriver.

    'The Wheel in Space' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 27 April - 1 June, 1968
    • Writers: David Whitaker, from a story by Kit Pedler
    • Director: Tristan De Vere Cole
    • Incidental Music: Brian Hodgson

    After saying goodbye to Victoria, the Doctor and Jamie learn that a vital fluid link that powers the Tardis is empty. They make an emergency landing aboard an abandoned spacecraft near to a wheel-shaped space station. There they meet a genius astrophysicist called Zoe and discover another plot by the Cybermen to gain a stronghold in the Solar System...

    Note: Wendy Padbury joined the series as Zoe.

    Season Six

    'The Dominators' (5 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 10 August - 7 September, 1968
    • Writers: Norman Ashby (pseudonym for Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln)
    • Director: Morris Barry
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    The planet Dulkis is home to a race of people whose history is littered with bloody wars but who now live as pacifists. They are therefore ill-equipped to fend off an invasion spearheaded by two sadistic Dominators and their band of robotic Quarks...

    'The Mind Robber' (5 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 14 September - 12 October, 1968
    • Writers: Derrick Sherwin (episode 1), Peter Ling (episodes 2-5)
    • Director: David Maloney
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    When the Tardis become trapped in a white void, the Doctor falls unconscious. When he wakes up, the Tardis has been destroyed and he and his friends are in a land where fictional characters are controlled by their Master, an old man linked to a computer. The man is eager to escape the Land of Fiction, with its robots and fairytale characters, and sets his mind on forcing the Doctor to take his place.

    The Master of the Land of Fiction is a different character to the much more famous 'Master' who first appeared in 'Terror of the Autons'.

    'The Invasion' (8 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 2 November - 21 December, 1968
    • Writers: Derrick Sherwin, from a story by Kit Pedler
    • Director: Douglas Camfield
    • Incidental Music: Don Harper

    International Electromatics has flooded the market with cheap, mass-produced electronic equipment, from telephones to radios. But suspicious goings on at IE's headquarters - and specifically the movements of the company's head man, Tobias Vaughn - has drawn the attention of the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, headed by Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. Vaughn has been assisting an alien force with their invasion plans in return for promises of power. Vaughn has also aroused the suspicions of the Doctor, but even he is surprised when he discovers that Vaughn's allies are the Cybermen - and that a huge army of the silver giants is already in London, waiting for the signal to emerge from the sewers and take over.

    Note: This story saw the second appearance of Lethbridge-Stewart (now a Brigadier), played by Nicholas Courtney, and the first appearance of John Levene as Sergeant Benton.

    'The Krotons' (4 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 28 December, 1968 - 18 January, 1969
    • Writer: Robert Holmes
    • Director: David Maloney
    • Incidental Music: Stock

    For centuries, the Gonds have regularly offered their top two students to the Krotons, unseen rulers of the planet who hide inside their machine, the Dynotrope. When the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe land on the planet's surface, they see what happens to the students when one of them emerges from the other side of the Dynotrope and is 'dispersed'. They manage to rescue a second student and return her to the Gonds. Meanwhile, Zoe inspects the Gonds' learning machines and is surprised when her test results instantly promote her to the top of the class. However, her pride is short-lived, for the announcement comes that 'Zoe-Gond' is to be given to the Krotons...

    'The Seeds of Death' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 25 January - 1 March, 1969
    • Writer: Brian Hayles
    • Director: Michael Ferguson
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    In the future, a new transport network called T-Mat allows near-instant transportation from one pace to another. The T-Mat system revolutionises travel, distribution and trade across the globe. So when the T-Mat control station on the moon is attacked by a group of Martians (Ice Warriors) led by Lord Slaar. Slaar uses the T-Mat system to send deadly pods across the planet that can self-replicate and rob the planet of oxygen. Now, the Doctor and his friends must rely on ancient pre-T-Mat technology as an abandoned space rocket appears to be the only available way of reaching the Moon.

    'The Space Pirates' (6 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 8 March - 12 April, 1969
    • Writer: Robert Holmes
    • Director: Michael Hart
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson, vocals by Mary Thomas

    A band of pirates are destroying space beacons in order to steal the valuable argonite used in their construction. As Interplanetary Space Corps Commander General Nicolai Hermack tries to track down the culprits, the pirates themselves grow concerned that they will be captured if they continue to attack the beacons at their present rate. So when the Doctor and his friends land on one of the remaining beacons, they have no idea that they are caught in the middle of a very dangerous situation.

    'The War Games' (10 episodes)

    • Broadcast: 19 April - 21 June, 1969
    • Writers: Terrance Dicks and Malcolm Hulke
    • Director: David Maloney
    • Incidental Music: Dudley Simpson

    The Great War saw the worst fighting the planet Earth has ever known. When the Tardis lands in the No-Man's Land between the British and German sides, the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe are quickly arrested as spies by the British army, led by the callous General Smythe. But Smythe's office contains a computer screen that is completely anachronistic for the time - as does the office of the German leader, Major Von Weich. To one side of the battle zone lies an area populated by Roman soldiers, beyond that is a section where the American Civil War is raging.

    The Doctor eventually discovers that the wars are being controlled by aliens in order to build a super-army created from the winners from each of the zones that make up the War Games. The aliens have in turn been aided by The War Lord, a member of his own people, the Time Lords. Only the Time Lords can bring the War Lord's plans to a close. But as the Doctor himself is on the run from the Time Lords, he realises that contacting them may cost him his freedom - and his friends...

    Note: This marked Patrick Troughton's final regular appearance as the Doctor and the departure of Frazer Hines as Jamie and Wendy Padbury as Zoe.

    h2g2's Doctor Who Episode Guide

    1The first episode was actually made twice; the first attempt, now known as the 'pilot' episode, was not broadcast until 24 August, 1991, when it was shown on BBC Two as part of a retrospective of the BBC's Lime Grove Studios.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Edited Entry

    A662960

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry

    Categorised In:


    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more