Quick and Easy Low-sugar Trifle Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Quick and Easy Low-sugar Trifle

0 Conversations

This is a recipe for a lower-sugar, lower-fat alternative to traditional trifle. The ingredients listed are as sold in the UK. Strangely enough it tastes as good as the full-fat variety. This recipe will make four servings.

Ingredients

  • Four bananas. If you don't like bananas any solid fruit will do such as pears or peaches but do not use pineapple, papaya or kiwi as they won't allow the jelly to set. If purchasing tinned fruit, use fruit in juice rather than syrup.
  • One packet of no-added-sugar jelly crystals
  • One tin of ready-made low-fat custard
  • One packet of Dream Topping or Angel Delight - these come in a variety of flavours1 and can also be obtained with no added sugar.

Utensils

  • One serving dish (preferably glass – any colour)
  • Spoons for stirring
  • ­
  • Heat-resistant jugs for mixing in

Method

  1. Make up your jelly crystals according to the instructions on the packet (fruit juice can be used instead of cold water for topping up; this also makes the jelly set slightly quicker).

  2. Pour the jelly into your serving dish and allow to cool slightly.

  3. ­
  4. Slice your bananas (or chosen fruit) and push them to the bottom of the slightly-set jelly so that they resemble the replaced trifle sponges.

  5. Put the jelly/fruit into the fridge to chill and set completely.

  6. Pour the ready made custard over the set bottom layer of jelly and fruit.

  7. Make up your choice of topping and spread over the custard. Useful tip – do not use skimmed milk as the topping won't be thick enough.

  8. If you wish to make a concession to the alternative recipe, you can sprinkle hundreds-and-thousands2 on the top.

  9. Chill in the fridge and serve when ready.

It can be kept for up to three days, if it lasts that long that is!

Typical Nutritional Information3

  • Rowntrees jelly crystals (Per 100gms/mls) - kilojoules 1278, protein 59.30g, available carbohydrates 6.5g, Fat 0g (zero)

  • Ambrosia ready-made Custard (Per 100gms/mls) - kilojoules 303, available carbohydrates 12.4g (of which sugars 7.6g), fat 1.1g (of which saturates 1.0g), sodium 0.1g, calcium 108mg.

Fruit-Jelly Flavour Combinations

Some flavour combinations tried and tested:

  • Bananas with strawberry jelly
  • Mandarin segments with lime jelly
  • Pears with raspberry jelly
  • Oranges with lemon jelly
  • 1Strawberry, chocolate, banana, raspberry, lemon and butterscotch.2Hundreds-and-thousands are also known as 'sprinkles'.3This applies only to these branded products.

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Edited Entry

    A6756564

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry

    Categorised In:


    Edited by

    h2g2 Editors

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more