The Trickster

1 Conversation

Another day, another article...


A lot of work has been suddenly flung my way, and I'm trying to dig out from underneath it. I've just recovered, though, and have once again found the time to write an article for The h2g2 Post.

Anyway, this week, because of a sudden bout of Writer's Block1, and the fact that it is the New Yearâ„¢, I have ditched the usual format in lieu of...

The Trickster's Random Music Awards 2001!

These awards are traditionally2 given out at the start of the New Year to anyone or anything I think deserves them. All these awards are based solely on my own opinions and the only on music I've actually heard in the last year: so they're in no way definitive. Anyway, without further ado, here are the awards:

Best Overall Album of 2001

Who made the best record of the last year? Difficult question. It's a matter of taste. Here are the nominees:

White Stripes - White Blood Cells: As a friend recently pointed out to me, the only thing the media ever says about this band is that the media always talks about them. Sounds like a case of recursive behaviour to me. Anyway, even ignoring all the hype, this album is amazing; brilliant guitar, great vocals and innovative songs that continue to rock no matter how many times you listen to them...

Radiohead - Amnesiac: Radiohead's Kid A alienated many people by being difficult to get into... it also was a massive departure for the band, as they embraced a very different musical style, mixing electronica, rock and jazz3. However, I loved it, and Amnesiac - basically Kid A Part II - is even better. A greater emphasis on jazz, and stronger melodies than Kid A, whilst retaining the innovation, make this a brilliant album.

The Avalanches - Since I Left You: This is a truly beautiful album. Comprised of thousands of samples, woven together with tremendous skill, this album's eighteen tracks have been mixed expertly together to create what is essentially one hour-long piece of music. It starts with sunset on a crowded beach; it then takes you on a moonlit cruise to welcome the dawn on a distant tropical island. You can expect to experience every emotion except disappointment. Amazing; amusing; emotive. Genius.

Eels - SoulJacker: Eels have always been an especially quirky band, using irony and dark comedy to great effect in their music. Souljacker, according to a review printed on the record sleeve, 'ROCKS'. And I couldn't agree more. The hilarity and grit of this album is incredible - songs like SoulJacker Part I and Bus Stop Boxer are moving and entertaining all at once. Oh, and having John Parish on the album is great too.

And The Winner Is....

I'm afraid to say it, but Radiohead get the prize - not just because they're one of my favourite bands, but because I enjoyed their album more than any other last year. And they had the best single - Pyramid Song. However, that's not to say that the other albums nominated aren't just as worthy...

Debut Album of 2001

There were a great many new bands releasing albums last year: but which was the best? Let's see my choices:

From the start of the year the band that really grabbed me were My Vitriol, with their album Finelines. A mix of grunge, indie and metal, with beautiful, soaring melodies and brilliant musicianship. Awesome band, incredible album. If you need convincing, just take a listen to Cemented Shoes. Mesmerising.

The Strokes' debut album, Is This It? was hyped by the press in a similar way to the White Stripes' new record. They were hailed as 'the saviours of rock'. Whilst that's definitely pushing it, this is a great album, and every track stands out as something special.

With so much highly-publicised 'nu-metal' swamping playlists, charts and record stores, it's nice to see that one band has done without the publicity and actually made a metal album that's non-commercialised. Yes, there are lots of potential singles, and yes, I suppose it is technically nu-metal (or rather, 'new' metal), but regardless LostProphets' The Fake Sound of Progress is a stunning debut album. Metal, rock, hip-hop and drum 'n' bass all combine with marvellous results. This isn't just a band taking advantage of the current nu-metal trend - this album easily eclipses anything I've heard by the genre giants in its sheer quality.

And The Winner Is....

The debut that impressed me most last year was undoubtedly Finelines, by the amazing My Vitriol. The brilliance of this album shines through every one of the sixteen tracks. Good luck to them in the future...

Worst Band of 2001

There were a great many dire acts around last year. But which was the worst?

Children's entertainers, who should be unemployable due to their lack of acting talent (they star in a children's TV series) singing talent (they've had several no.1 singles) and... well, pretty much anything that would give them a right to release any material. Yes, S Club 7 and their appalling songs were one of the worst things I heard in 2001.

I've got a revolving door... I'm so great... yaargh.... What a load of rubbish. Crazy Town, a strong candidate for the most annoying band ever, released a couple of singles and an album last year, which all consisted of the 'singer' going on and on4 about how much women supposedly love him... and that was, er, it. Plus the music was terrible.

Did you watch Popstars? Well, I didn't. Did you like their songs? Me neither. Hear'say, as much in need of English lessons as music lessons, released two dire records last year. Two. And both were hits. Does the public have no taste??!

And The Winner Is....

Hear'say - possibly the blandest manufactured band ever, win the coveted Worst Band Award this year. Congratualtions: now go back to school and retake your English SATs.

Biggest Disappointment of 2001

Yes, there were a couple of massive disappointments last year... and here they are.

For a start, Stereophonics made a terrible return, releasing Just Enough Education to Perform. The first album was good, the second was much worse, but this? This is really going too far. Or, rather, not nearly far enough.

Last year, the one band that I had been hoping to return to form instead made a huge miscalculation: sorry, but I thought things couldn't get much worse after This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours. I was wrong. The Manic Street Preachers' Know Your Enemy was a mess of stupid pretentious pop-punk. Yes, the Manics are great live, but that's no excuse for them churning out garbage like this. It all started to go downhill after The Holy Bible5.

Note: Both these bands are from Wales. This is pure coincidence, I promise6.

And The Winner Is....

Manic Street Preachers do it again. What a disaster. It's not to say there aren't good moments, but they're sandwiched in between so much rubbish that it's just not worth it. Shame on you!

Biggest Music Showoffs 2001

Only one nomination really required here, as the obvious winner is:

Muse's Origin of Symmetry: it was overly pretentious, self-indulgent, loud and silly. Their gigs are amazing though. Well done, Matt and co. Keep up the good work!

Tips for 2002

Watch out for Haven, this year's Starsailor (but in my opinion much better). I tried - and failed - to find a copy of their Till the End EP, so now I'll have to make do with the album7... coming out in 2002.

Also look for releases from the Cooper Temple Clause, The Music, and yes, Coldplay will be returning.

Well, that's it for the music - and, in fact, everything else - of 2001. Enjoy yourselves in the rest of the new year!

# Lokuz


31.01.02. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Which does get balanced by Unexpected Creative Inspiration2Tradition has to start somewhere3I hate to get picky here, but many people say that Kid A has hardly any guitars on it. In fact, seven out of the ten tracks feature guitars...4and on5Which happens to be one of my favourite albums.6Incidentally, LostProphets are Welsh.7And the tour, of course.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A688511

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more