Numeral Shapes

3 Conversations

The shapes of our numerals originally had a striking significance. Each single digit numeral contained the number of angles it named.


0 has zero angles angles.

1 had only the hook, no horizontal bar on the bottom, and one angle.

2 looked like a Z and had two angles.

3 looked like a sideways W and had three angles.

4 had the closed top but the horizontal bar din't cross over the vertical bar, and had four angles.

5 was squared off and had five angles.

6 was squared off and had six angles.

7 was a Z with a horizontal middle crossbar, and a hook on the front, and seven angles.

8 looked like an H with the top and bottom closed off, and had eight angles.

9 was squared off and the horizontal crossbar extndes through the vertical line, and a hook on the foot, and nine angles.

'A Star' Ten should be a single digit numeral with ten angles. A star works. * So does the Masonic Lodge Symbol. We use base ten because it has certain excellent mathematical properties such as repeating decimals. We also have ten fingers.

10 (one, zero) signifies totality of base, and changes its name and value depending on which base system is used.


For example, counting in base two:


1, 10, 11, 100.


10 = totality of base.

100 = totality of square.


Now base 3:


1, 2, 10

11, 12, 20

21, 22, 100


Notice that there is no numeral 2 in base two, only 0 and 1, and no numeral 3 in base three, only 0, 1 and 2. Likewise, there is no ten in base ten.



If you want to see pictures of the numerals, visit www.arabicnumerals.cwc.net/

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A695973

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more