Off to Crufts

0 Conversations

Off to Crufts

DISCOVER DOGS

There are five Halls used for Crufts at the NEC, and all are crowded with things to do with dogs; Show Rings, Stalls, Stands and Discover Dogs. Discover Dogs is the area set up in Hall four by The Kennel Club to show people the different kinds of dogs they recognise. Like The Kennel Club, Discover Dogs is separated up into seven sections, showing Hound, Working, Terrier, Gundog, Pastoral, Utility and Toy.

WEDNESDAY 6th MARCH 2002 - Setting up Discover Dogs


First of all let me introduce you to some of my cohorts on this Crufts adventure, Thelma and Louise - and not forgetting Stooby. These are not their real names of course, but as all good columnsists do, I am changing names to protect the innocent, if indeed there is anything innocent about these three.

Thelma, Louise and I, started off to the NEC at Birmingham to set up the stand for Norwich Terriers in the Discover Dogs section at Crufts. We were laden down with all the paraphernalia for decorating a booth measuring approximately three metres by three metres. It took us nearly ninety minutes to get to the NEC, and when we arrived we managed to park right outside the door to Hall 4, where Discover
Dogs was set up.

The atmosphere inside the Hall is subdued, everywhere there are people setting up various stands, getting ready for the official opening on Thursday. Dogs are barking in the Show ring in Hall 4; this is the ring where the activities are taking place, and people are practising what looks like Obedience at the moment. Strangely, Frank Sinatra's, New York, New York, is playing throughout the Halls, and it's this music that we hum to as we begin to decorate our booth.

We have, in total, over 100 photo's, 30 graphics, bows, ribbons, information sheets and rossettes, to place on the bare white walls of our booth, and the three of us working hard, manage to fill the walls in just over two hours. I just finish off by winding green ribbon around the top of the wire cage that separates the booth in half. This cage is where the dogs are placed for viewing and chatting to.

Thelma, who was actually asked to set up the stand, pronounces that it is complete, and we set off home with the feeling of a job well done.


THURSDAY 7th MARCH 2002 - Working and Pastoral


Thelma, Louise, Stooby and I set off to Crufts at about 7:00am; this time we have two doggie friends with us, Kitty and Kane, eight month old Norwich Terrier's. Both dogs are bred and owned by Thelma; they have not qualified to be shown at Crufts this year, but Thelma has great hopes for Kitty next year.

You don't realise how tiring it can be talking to people most of the day, answering questions about your dogs, showing them off, and posing for the occasional photo, or video shoot. Most of the
questions are the same, 'How big do they grow?', 'Are they good with children?', 'How much would one cost?'. The dogs seem to enjoy every minute of it, when they look like they are flagging a little, they are left to rest in their travel cages for a well deserved snooze. It's a real shame that I couldn't do the same at times.


FRIDAY 8th MARCH 2002 - Terrier and Hound


I had a day off from Crufts today, though Thelma and Louise set off with Brona and Kea, the two Cesky Terriers, you may remember from my last article. They are being shown today by Thelma, along with Thelma's Norfolk Terrier, Kuddy.

Brona got second in her class, Kea got third in her class and Kuddy got fourth in his class. Both Brona and Kea automatically qualify for Crufts again next year. So remember to look out for them again in 2003.


SATURDAY 9th MARCH 2002 - Toy and Utility


Today, our gallant party will be on the Norfolk Terrier stand, and we are taking two dogs yet again, this time its the turn of Thelma's Keisha, and my very own Chloe. We are not on the stand until the
afternoon, so we get a bit of a lie in. Norfolk and Norwich Terriers used to be the same breed, Norwich up until the 1960's. There is not a lot of difference between the two breeds, the basic one is that Norwich have prick ears and Norfolk have drop ears.

We have a very busy day yet again, with lots of interest shown in our dogs, and I am proud of Chloe. An awful lot of people would have liked to have taken her home, but then, in my slightly biased opinion, she is an awfully cute little dog.


SUNDAY 10th MARCH 2002 - Gundogs and Best in Show


The final day of Crufts has arrived and, as well as manning the Norwich stand, we get time off to go and look around the many things that make up Crufts, especially the hundreds of Stalls, selling
everything doggie you can think of. There's a lot of things to see and do at Crufts, competitions to enter, things to buy, exibits to look at and lots and lots of things to buy. I saw one enterprising chap selling little wooden turtles and armidillo's, he said they were dogs and people were buying them. I asked him if we had been at a horse show, would the little wooden dogs be horse's. The stall owner
grinned and replied, 'Of course!'

As the throngs of people lessen as the day draws to a close, it is time to take down all the doggie paraphernalia we so carefully put up on the Wednesday before. The only dogs allowed to be still in
the NEC after 6pm are in the Main Ring, for the judging of the Best in Show.

We are packed and ready for home in short order and, as we walk to the exit through the now quiet Halls of the NEC, all that is left are a few dogs, the trade Stands and a small mountain of rubbish.

In a few short hours Crufts will be gone, and Halls one to five will be prepared for the next exibition or show.


CRUFTS


Well done to NORD CH TOPSCORE CONTRADICTION, the winner of Crufts Best in Show 2002, a delightful Standard Poodle, who whilst not being my favourite dog of all time, no doubt deserved the honour.


Crufts has a very special place in the hearts of dog people. It is the biggest and best dog show in the world and, if you are in the neighbourhood, then it is definitely worth a visit, but be prepared to spend money, it's not cheap. From car parking, to entry fee, to paying a pound for a plastic cup of tea or coffee, Crufts will lighten your purse or wallet quite quickly, but then, what other large attraction in England doesn't do that?

I personally found Crufts to be exhausting, exciting and fun. Meeting new people who have an interest in what you are interested in, is always great, and just being part of a wonderful experience like Crufts is something I will remember forever, or, at least until next year at this time. See you there...


Greebs

21.03.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A714340

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more