Ginnie Springs Wilderness Park, Florida.,USA

1 Conversation


Springs come plentiful in Florida and are relatively the only type of water other then the ocean that you can swim in since there is the ever-impressive American alligator in every pond available. That is were Ginnie Springs Wilderness Park comes into play. It is a beautiful 200 acre wilderness park in the north central part of Florida along the Santa Fe River. Ginnie Springs main attraction is cave diving but they also offer camping, tubing, snorkeling, canoeing and kayaking.

There are seven separate springs along the edge of the Santa Fe River in the wilderness park. Each day, these springs discharge hundreds of millions gallons of crystal-clear water that is a constant 72 degrees, year round. This may seem cold but in the warm Florida summer sun this can be a relief.

Scuba Diving



People come from all over to go cave diving at Ginnie Springs. There is an intricate web of tunnels and caves below the surface of the water. Ginnie Springs has dive equipment available for rent at the country store or dive center. If you are certified cave diver then it only $19.00 for the day. IF you are a certified civer but not a cave diver then it is $25.00 a day, plus whatever you may need to rent.

There is a non-certificate program available for those not cerified in scuba diving or those who are interested in cave diving but want to check it out first.The Discover Scuba activity fee includes all equipment, instruction, air fills and dive fees. It is $75.00 for one person and $99.00 for two people.

Camping



Camping is another amenity that you just can't miss. If you are lucky enough to get a spot right on the river then you are going to have a beautiful night. If you come on Memorial Day and the place is packed, you may end up way in the woods but you are still going to have a great time.Each site is equipt with a picnic table, fire pit,and grill. Fires are permitted as long as there is not a drought going on. Rates go by person to person instead of by lots. For an adult it is $14.00 per night, children between the ages of 7-14 it is $6.00 per night and under 6 years is free. You can also have electricity and water hook up if you have a RV for $4.00 per night.

Tubing, Snorkeling, Canoeing, and Kayaking



Along the Santa Fe River there are many activities that can keep you occupied. Tubing, snorkeling, canoeing, and kayaking are all things that you can do on your visit to Ginnie Springs. All equipment for these activities are available at the country store for rent at different prices or you can bring your own. You also can just swim but be careful on the river it has a strong current. It is advisible to use the buddy system if you are going to swim down the river. You can tube, canoe or kayak down the river though with great ease. One thing on the river to keep your eye out for is an old fallen tree in the river were tons of turtles show up to sun bathe. It is a beautiful sight.

The Country Store and Dive Center


The Country Store and the Dive Center are in the same building and it is the first thing that you see as you drive down the long drive way. The Country Store is also the place to get your lot for camping or RV. You can also get groceries and souvenirs at The Country Store. If you have a big party of about 30 or more people then they ask that you make reservations. If your party is not coming together at the same time then they have a billboard in front of the store were you can post a map of were your camp site is or a message to the rest of your party.

How To Get There1

Use these directions if you are driving north on Interstate 75 from the Tampa Bay are, or from Florida's Turnpike, coming through Orlando. Take I-75 north through Ocala and Gainesville. Thirteen miles north of Gainesville, look for and take Exit 78 (the Alachua exit). From Exit 78, take US-441 north approximately five miles to the town of High Springs. At the first stop light in High Springs (at the Hardee's), turn left. Continue through the next stop light, at the center of town, and go approximately one-half mile further to the turn off for County Road 340/NE 182nd Avenue. (You will see a sign on top of a pole indicating that this is the turn off for Ginnie, Blue and Poe Springs.) Turn right on to County Road 340 and go approximate 6.5 miles, to the sign indicating the turn off to Ginnie Springs (NE 60th Ave.) Turn right at the sign (NE 60th Ave.) and go approximately one mile further to the Ginnie Springs entrance.

Use these directions if you are driving south on Interstate 75 from Georgia, or coming east from the Florida Panhandle on I-10. Take Exit 81, just south of Lake City. From Exit 81, take State Route 47 south, through the flashing light at Columbia City and the stop light in Fort White. Approximately 20 minutes after getting off I-75, and four miles south of Fort While, you will cross the Santa Fe River bridge. There are two ways to get to Ginnie from State Route 47:Approximately two miles south of the Santa Fe River you will see a green sign mounted on top of a pole along the highway's shoulder, indicating the approaching turn off to Ginnie Springs. This is a county lime rock road and sometimes is in poor repair. We suggest that you proceed past the sign to the flashing yellow light at County Road 340. Turn left and go approximately 2 miles to NE 60th Ave (look for the Ginnie sign). Turn left and go about one mile further to the Ginnie Springs entrance.

URL=http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/index.html
1All driving directions taken from Ginnie Springs website.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A724745

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more