The 1914 Oxford Cambridge Boat Race

1 Conversation

A little reported incident occurred on March 28, 1914. Dark storm clouds were gathering over Europe as nations prepared themselves for war.

King George V stood on the banks of the Thames with his wife Mary amidst the cheering throngs to watch the 71st Oxford Cambridge boat race. It had been an thrilling race; the lead had changed hands several times earlier, and the race could easily go either way.

Suddenly, an astonished gasp came from the crowd. Between the two vessels a German U-Boat had surfaced, engaged full-throttle and sped towards the finishing line.

An eerie silence fell over the crowd as the turret-hatch was thrown open and the boat's monocled captain stood saluting the crowds, as though to claim victory in this most British of events.

At the request of the Foriegn Office, the incident was "hushed up" by the press of the time, for fear of adversely affecting British morale.

The records show that Cambridge won by 4 1/2 boatlengths, completing the course in 20 mins 23 secs. Yet to all who attended it will always remain *that* boat race.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A731576

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more